Laptop hard disk partitions and system restore

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
September 28, 2004 5:39:35 PM

Hey.

I have a brand new acer travelmate 2301WLMi.
Because the Windows restoration erases whole c-drive and I need lots of
space I have thought to repartition the disk so that C-drive would be
smaller and D-drive bigger.
Is it safely to do that or does it affect the restore operation. XP Home
should fit smaller than 20GB!
What is the small partition called PQSERVICE in the beginning of the disk
(see picture http://liitekuvat.tripod.com/acerinlevyhallinta.PNG )? Can I
delete it and recreate as a standard Windows partition?
Thank you.

Jussi from Finland
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 5:39:36 PM

name wrote:
> Hey.
>
> I have a brand new acer travelmate 2301WLMi.
> Because the Windows restoration erases whole c-drive and I need lots
> of space I have thought to repartition the disk so that C-drive would
> be smaller and D-drive bigger.
> Is it safely to do that or does it affect the restore operation. XP
> Home should fit smaller than 20GB!
> What is the small partition called PQSERVICE in the beginning of the
> disk (see picture http://liitekuvat.tripod.com/acerinlevyhallinta.PNG
> )? Can I delete it and recreate as a standard Windows partition?
> Thank you.
>
> Jussi from Finland

Let's be clear: Windows System Restore is a Windows Registry recovery
system. It can be set to run on any disk partition, but usually only
the boot partition. Windows System Restore is not destructive of the
partition contents when executed in restore mode. There is no reason
that you cannot repartition the two NTFS partitions to a smaller OS
partition and a larger data/programs partition. Do not make it too
small. System Restore creates sequential (differential) restore points
that consume whatever share of the partition that you specify.
Additionally, you need to have sufficient free space on the boot drive
for working space, perhaps 1-2 GB plus whatever needed for system
restore, say 10% of a 30GB partition or 3GB for 30 GB or less.

The only destructive restoration will be from your OEM Restore system.
Many computers come with restoration disks which contain the image of
the original out-of-box set of OS and applications. This system is
overwrites anything originally on the disk with its contents.

Alternatively, some OEM vendors include a System restoration CD which
also is destructive of the original disk contents, and a separate
Applications restoration CD that allow selective reinstallation of each
application. The OEM System restoration can/will repartition the entire
drive to match what you see out of the box and you lose everything on
all partitions.

Finally, some OEM vendors include an actual OEM version of the Windows
install CD. This is the best case since it is likely to work exactly
like a retail Windows install CD and will not be destructive if it can
support a Repair Installation of the OS. Check to see if you got lucky.

The PQ Service partition is about the right size for containing the CD
images for the OEM restore CDs. If so, there is a program for creating a
set of OEM Restoration CDs somewhere on the HD. Otherwise, see the
vendor for what it contains. You do not want to lose this partition
before you know what it contains and its purpose.

a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 5:53:41 AM

It's likely, but not certain, that the restore CD that you have erases
the entire hard drive, not just the C: partition. Very possibly it
wipes the partition table entirely and truly starts from scratch.

!