Sign in with
Your question

What RAM should I buy?

Last response: in Memory
January 20, 2011 6:00:29 PM

Hello everyone,

I am upgradinng my PC from xp to win 7 64-bit to take advantage of highher limits for RAM.

A few simple questions:
1) I have Asus Rampage Formula MOBO. I am not sure which RAM will best work with it?
2) What RAM would you recommend? I need at least 16 Gigs. brand has 2x8 ?
3) Would anyone recommend getting SSD for the windows files "c" drive? Will it make a big difference?

Thank you in advance for your help with the NooB questions!

More about : ram buy

January 21, 2011 4:05:12 AM

Thank you for your response wiinippongamer. I only have 2 slots for RAM on board due to video card taking over the rest. Any 2x4GB DDR2 1066MHZ you recommend?
Thanks again for the help.

Related resources
January 21, 2011 3:55:36 PM

You mentioned DDR2 RAM? I'm pretty sure our build will use DDR3 if it's new.

If you're talking Rampage III Formula, it has six RAM slots and chances are none will be blocked by the video card. Do you mean the Rampage III Gene mATX board? If it's either of these LGA 1366 boards you'll have 6 ram slots so it's more likely you'll be working in the 12GB/24GB RAM range.

I suggest this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It only has 5 reviews and the two bad ones don't sound reliable. I bet they didn't have their Uncore at 20x.
a b } Memory
January 21, 2011 5:48:58 PM

The Asus Rampage Formula is a X48 775 motherboard and uses ddr2, and unfortunately due to density limits on ddr2 the max size per stick is always 2gb, ddr3 doubled this to 4gb, but you'll never find any 6 or 8 gb ddr3 stick, so you're stuck with 2x2gb.

And how comes the video card takes over the RAM slots? it seems ilogical to me, or a terrible design flaw, at any case you can just move the video card down to the 2nd slot and you could still use 4x2gb
April 24, 2011 9:25:08 PM

Quote:
There is memory speed, and then there are memory timings.

Speed is the frequency that the memory operates at (in MHz... and remember that when you are looking in CPU-z that ram is DDR [Double Data Rate], so the frequency that it says will always be half of what it is actually running at). It is fairly straightforward and easy to understand.
And remember that the ram speed is tied to the reference clock, and in this way you can easily OC your ram beyond the stock speed.
Speed is mostly important for higher bandwidth, as it just means that the ram can move more information.

Timings are different, and should not be confused with the speed. Timings do not effect the speed (in MHz) of the ram at all.
Instead, they change how “efficient” the ram is. In other words, the timings affect the “turnaround” of the information.
The timings are generally listed something like this: 5-5-5-18. While I wont go into all of the details about what those each mean here,
I can give you a basic idea of what the timings mean. Timings change how long the ram will wait to do something.
So having ram with looser (numerically higher) timings, means that the ram will “wait” longer in between processes.
Using the example of 5-5-5-18 ram, information is copied, it then waits for 5 clock cycles before it moves onto the next step.
Ram with 7-7-7-23 timings running at the same speed (in MHz) will move the information there just as quickly,
but then will need to wait for 7 cycles between doing things, rather than 5.
This is why “performance” ram is in fact faster.

hey malmental thx for ur input. Just wondering now u want ur memory speed(mhz)in CPUZ to match ur bus speed of the motherboard or half ur memory speed to match the bus speed. Anything else would u just be paying for more expensive ram and not recieving the benfits of it?
Thx for ur help
!