ssmokeyy

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Ok i need a new mother board like last week. Im looking at the asus crosshair 4 with 5870 now and add another 5870 later this year or gigabyte ud5 with a 5870 and add another one this year. 3rd option is 890gx board with fermi 480 gtx 1 card. I have always ran nvidia cards since they came out before that it was 3dfx if any one remebers them any more. So me moving over to the ati camp is hard for me to think of. Main goals of new computer gaming i play alot of sc 2, wow , going to have the new diablo when it comes out. I play some first person shooter on my pc. Does crossfire really work with every game or only some? If i go with a 890gx board will i loose that much from a 890fx? I have always used asus boards i got 1 msi board and had nothing but problems sent it in 4 times still never worked right will never try them again. Im not sure how i feel about 3 screens yet but im upgrading to a 25.5 so i think that is big enough for now. does any one use zipzooomfly and are they safe to buy from? I have always used newegg no one else never had to. Im going to be picking up the new x6 black and plan to over clock to 4 ghz on air daily. If asrock is a good enough brand i would look in to the 890fx from them also. My limit for mother board is 250 but im not sure i need to spend that much if i dont have to. I love the loves on the crosshair 4 but zipzoomfly is the only place right now that has it in stock for a good price. thanks for reading this and all the help you can be.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
If going with AMD platform, you should use ATI video for best compatibilty in hardware and performance will be evident going with ATI, not to say anything bad about nVidia considering I was a Geforce fan when they first came out. I am running "pure" AMD/ATI system and it flies, I play lots of !st person shooters and I would go ATI, crossfire will give you a larger improvement on newer games, mostly helps with faster 3d drawing (One card does vertical pixel, other horizontal) so games run faster. Not sure if Diablo 3 will take advantage to SLI/Crossfire setup as the game is 3rd person

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Yeah, that's pretty much completely untrue.

There's no additional compatibility gained by sticking with AMD/ATI or Intel/nVidia. If any of the vendors were to do that, it would sooner or later lead to a decrease in sales. Why, if you're AMD, would you want people to even consider not buying your product because it won't work (as well/at all) with the (hypothetical) awesome new nVidia card they just bought? Or vice-versa, whatever.

OP, your wall of text is really difficult to read. You are likely to get more useful advice if you post in the format found in How to Ask for New Build Advice.