Hard disk test failure

Nicci1

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hello,
I have a HP pavilion 9730us notebook. it restarts at the logon screen. I removed the hd and ran scans on it and copied needed documents. I did find some exploits on the hd in the owners folder. When I reinstalled the hd and ran the hard disk test in BIOS utilities it failed stating that it needed to be replaced.
My question is, if I can access the hd as an external does that mean that the test results are not accurate as to a hard drive failure? Could it be related to corrupt files on hard drive?

i seen a lot of windows reboot at boot screen..damage video driver or anti virus or program in start up. before i rule a hard drive is bad i try to boot into windows safe mode and turn off everything in start up and see if it hangs if it does then i try and reinstall the video drivers.

Nicci1

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

I was able to run a check disk on it as an external and it did have problems that were fixed. Yet, it still will not boot. We elected to format the hd and start fresh, now it is saying that the MBR is missing. I'm pretty much at this point decided either its the HD or the controller on the motherboard.

Nicci1

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012

It would not let you past the logon screen in both regular and safe mode.