Can I hook up 4 displays to an 8800 GTX?

mpjesse

Splendid
Whew! It's been a while since I've posted in this place, but I couldn't find the answer on google so here I am!

Here's what I'm trying to do:
I managed to snag a couple good LCD's for a cheap price and wanna hook them all up to my 8800 GTX. Total displays I want to connect: 4. First of all, is this possible? Second, can each display have it's own unique resolution? (i.e., one display is @ 1920x1080, one at 1600x1200, and the other two at 1280x1024)

My video card (an 8800 GTX) has dual DVI ports. I've seen the splitter cables, but I'm not sure if those cables simply duplicate the video signal or can operate independently of each other.

Here's my video card:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=n82e16814150205

Solution
No you can't use four displays on an 8800GTX. You can use dual monitors and set them at different resolutions. You will have to get a second 8800GTX to run four monitors, if your Motherboard has an additional slot. If not you will need to get a Quad card, like the ATI 5850, 5870, Nvidia Quadro 450, or ATI 2450 Firepro. I suggest the 5850 for price vs. performance.
I was sure this is was a necropost when I seen the name.

Not sure on your question, I would say it will just use the same signal just split in two. The resolution part will probably be the difficult part.

You would probably be better just getting a cheap second card and using that.

multiscreenz

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
No you can't use four displays on an 8800GTX. You can use dual monitors and set them at different resolutions. You will have to get a second 8800GTX to run four monitors, if your Motherboard has an additional slot. If not you will need to get a Quad card, like the ATI 5850, 5870, Nvidia Quadro 450, or ATI 2450 Firepro. I suggest the 5850 for price vs. performance.

Solution

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I have a Radeon x1600 at work. We use splitter cables for using two monitors and its working fine. I can adjust resolution on both monitors independently. You might wanna try first before putting money into a new card. And obviously no 4 screen gaming......

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You could even get a cheap card that has dual ports out - many cards do. If you're not gaming, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting it set up, though I'm not sure about different resolutions.

mpjesse

Splendid

so you have one DVI port and a splitter cable on it? and you're able to adjust the resolutions on both displays independently?

mpjesse

Splendid

thanks man! this helps.