Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5N-D powers on I but do not see anything on monitor

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2011 7:12:47 PM

I too just built a new desktop from the bottom up and used the Asus P5N-D motherboard. I am using an 850 watt Thermaltake Power Supply. I power up, all the fans work, all the drives work (cd, dvd, floppy, and hardrives) but nothing shows up on the monitor. I do get a beep sound for the BIOS but nothing loads on the monitor and the floppy drive light remains on as if it is locked in place. The hard drive light does go on and flickers as it should to show that it is working. Other than that I do not know what else to do.
January 20, 2011 7:16:33 PM

I also forgot to mention the the LED light on the motherboard does turn on. I am using an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.50 GHz Q8300, 4MB cache LGA775 processor, and 4 gigs of 800 MHz DDR2 Corsair memory, (4 sticks of 1gig each).
m
l
January 20, 2011 7:37:26 PM

Well, you should start by disconnecting everything. Disconnect all hard drives, CD/DVD drives, and floppy drives. Only leave your mouse and keyboard plugged in (disconnect all other USB devices) and if you have an integrated video card use that instead of the discrete card. If you still see no screen then verify that the monitor works with another computer (unless you've already done that). If the monitor DOES work but you're still not getting video then I would remove all the memory sticks and power it on and verify that you hear a long beep. If you do get a long beep then go through each of the memory sticks (using only 1 at a time in the DIMM0 or DIMM1 slot, depeding on what your mobo starts at) to see if you get video. If THAT doesn't work then try one stick in each of the slots in turn to see if it's a faulty slot causing your problem. If NONE of that works then let me know and I'll try to think of something else to do...

If you DO get the screen on, then gradually plug in components until you have JUST what you need to install the OS. Once the OS is installed then gradually plug in the rest of your components so you can identify where the problem was.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2011 8:46:38 PM

Thank you for the advice bikeracer4487.

This is what I have done so far. I completely removed all my memory. I powered up and it gave me one long beep and three short beeps. That warning sign is for the memory according to what ASUS told me. This means that it recognizes the lack of memory. So I reseated the memory and did not receive that warning again which I assume it means that the memory slots are functioning.

I then removed my Creative Audigy Platinum Sound Card. I then removed the my NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1gig DDR3 video card. I then powered the computer back on and received one long and three short beeps. ASUS told me that this was the correct warning sound to see if the video card was missing. I reseated the video card, and cleared the CMOS and still no video on the monitor.

When I power up it just does one BIOS beep which means it is posting correctly but I am not receiving any video on the monitor.

I don't know what else to do. I am currently on the phone on hold for level 2 tech support...

...Apparently level 2 tech support had nothing else to say. They said it could be a video card problem or something wrong with the board itself. All I know is the video card was working yesterday on my old machine and I highly doubt it died from the transfer over to the new board.

Ugggggh!
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:01:19 PM

So from what I gather, the memory and graphics card have the same beeping code for errors, and also that there is no integrated solution? Also, when you say you reseated the memory are you saying you put ALL the memory back in? Because I would recommend attempting to power on with only one DIMM installed...although the memory is likely not your problem, it's good to rule it out.

As it stands, I have actually had this happen to me before with an MSI board, where I just would NOT get video...but it also didn't beep at all when I powered on with no memory, so I returned the board and got a Gigabyte board which worked fine, so in that case the problem was with the motherboard. One last thing I would try is to install the graphics card in another system to verify that it works (make sure you use the same output on the other system as well). If the graphics card is fine then you will probably end up needing to RMA your motherboard.

EDIT: Saw you updated your post, if you still have your old system then try the card in that just to be sure. Otherwise, like I said, the motherboard is really the only other possible cause... If you feel like a LOT of extra work and happen to have an extra motherboard with the same CPU socket you could install everything (or at least the bare minimum) on the other mobo and try that...but like I said...that's a buttload of extra work and not everyone keeps a spare stockpile of motherboards around...
m
l
January 20, 2011 9:07:23 PM

As it stands, I think it may be the motherboard. I did try to boot with using one pair of memory not both, and one stick as well. No memory problems.

My video card was working on my old unit yesterday before I removed it to transfer to the new one I just built.

I will try to get a video card from someone and see if that is the issue if not, I will put my old Intel Core Extreme motherboard in this system and test the video card on it again to see if in fact the new motherboard is faulty.
m
l
January 20, 2011 11:12:27 PM

Ok so since I had no other options, I took my desktop to a computer technician in my area, and solved the problem.

He used a very low key basic video card and the computer posted. He then went into the BIOS and looked at the settings, and found that the video card setting was set to PCI!!!!!! not PCI-Express. After he changed the setting to PCI-Express, we put in my video card and baaaaaaaaam everything started working.

Thankfully it was just a BIOS setting error on ASUS's part. They should for the future have an AUTO recognize feature for their motherboards. I can only imagine how many other people who purchased the P5N-D motherboard and had video issues that were simple BIOS settings.

Thank you very much bikeracer for taking the time to read all this and offer your assistance. It was much appreciated.
m
l
January 21, 2011 12:00:59 AM

Hey no problem, glad that solved your problem...the thought occurred to me since I know most mobo's do allow you to specify whether to use PCI-E or integrated first....but since it didn't have an integrated card I assumed the default would be PCI Express, haha...well, glad your problem was solved!
m
l
January 21, 2011 2:52:03 AM

I guess my badluck keeps on going. When I got home I hooked up my dvi cable to the video card and then the other end to the monitor and still it didnt show anything on the monitor.

You can imagine how fuming I was at that time, so I find a vga cable I had here and attach it to my laptop and the monitor to test to see if my monitor which was working well yesterday, was working well today. Lo and behold it was working on the laptop. So then I take the same vga cable and put dvi adapters on both ends and then hook them up to the dvi ports on the monitor and the desktop. It still did not work. I then took the dvi adapter off the end that connected to the monitor and simply used the vga port on the monitor while still using the dvi port on the video card. I power up and boom, it started working and I see things on the monitor now.

So it appears I had two problems, one being that ASUS had configured the BIOS to be PCI instead of PCI-Express and the DVI port on my monitor is not working.

Do you know if the DVI ports on monitors tend to go bad often? Is there anything else I can do to get pure digital on my monitor now even if its on vga?
m
l
January 21, 2011 3:04:55 AM

Hmmm...I can't say for certain but I don't think the adapter were meant to be used on both ends of the cable...if youre video card has DVI and your monitor has DVI then you should use a DVI cable...that would be the only way to get pure digital...as it is you're using analog, just converting it to digital at both ends.
m
l
January 21, 2011 3:23:04 AM

Yeah that is exactly what I thought too. Without further diagnostic testing, do you think that my DVI cable went bad or my DVI port on the monitor? That was my reasoning in putting DVI adapters on both ends of my VGA cable, to see if it was the actual cable or the DVI monitor port. Since it didn't work even with the VGA cable, then I assumed the DVI port on the monitor went bad.

What is your take on it?
m
l
January 21, 2011 3:36:29 AM

Well, having never tried using an adapter at both ends I'm not sure if that would or wouldn't work, but I've had quite a few LCD's in my house and I've never heard of the port itself just ceasing to work...I HAVE had issues with the DVI cable though...so I would try to somehow test the cable...maybe find a different cable and see if that works...or try the same DVI cable on a different LCD...
m
l
January 21, 2011 3:53:21 AM

Hmmmm you make some valid points. I will try testing the cable on another computer and see if that does anything. If the DVI port on the monitor is faulty, I will try to contact Viewsonic and see if my warranty is still valid or if they would want to do something for a 20 year customer. lol Yeaaaaah right!

m
l
!