HD5850 gray screen issues

psychra

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well, I had to buy a new VGA and I am focusing on performace and parameters and ofcourse a power consumption, so HD5850 is my favorite. Then I have ordered the Sapphire HD5850.

I have GTX260 for 6-8 months, but for my LCD with resolution 1920x1200 i CANT enjoy full details of BF BadCompany 2 and I guess it will get worse by time. The gtx275 is hard to buy these days in my region and it looks that is not the best buy neither.

I care about power consumption but need more performace, so to get another gtx260 for SLI is not solution for me.

In the other hand, I did not had any driver or other issues with current gtx260, and all my friends warn me about stability and driver issues with ATI cards. So I tried to find something about that on internet and I was really disappointed with results.

Would´n be an issue to put the HD5850 card into ASUS Striker Formula board with Nvidia 780i chipset?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I'm not sure you'll be able to play BC2 @ 1920 X 1200 with all the detail turned up with a single 5850. I have that card and I know that my FPS drops below 60 @ 1680 X 1050 when the explosions start up. Those danged dust particles!

For me a 5850 wouldn't be enough of an upgrade from the card you currently have. That said... a 5850 is a VERY power efficient card to be such a high-end (relatively speaking) part.

For myself, and a few others that had this issue, I found that underclocking the memory by 50 completely solved this issue and have never had a problem since. For others (it might have worked for me too), a small voltage increase can fix the problem.

Other than that, most people have never experienced a problem and the drivers are quite stable.

psychra

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Ok guys, I finally bought Sapphire HD5850 and installed it on P35-DS3P mb with Core2Due 2,66GHz last week. Replaced the HD3780 and uninstalled drivers with driversweeper. It was not clean windows XP installation. Everything in desktop and games works perfectly!!! Thanks Lord!!! Low noise, low power, but very good performace, me and my brother are satisfied :) :D

thanks all for advice! Hopefully will not be neccessary to make any adjustmens...

cheers,
pat