Compaq PII laptop BIOS problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 2:33:23 PM

Ok

My friend has a compaq PII laptop WITHOUT a floppy drive.

We need some help on figuring out how to get into the bios?

Problem is , apparently you need to have some compaq data on the
hard drive in order to get into the bios, well the hard drive has been
formatted and like i said we dont have a floppy drive.

any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 9:51:10 PM

robotron -X- wrote:
> Ok
>
> My friend has a compaq PII laptop WITHOUT a floppy drive.
>
> We need some help on figuring out how to get into the bios?
>
> Problem is , apparently you need to have some compaq data on the
> hard drive in order to get into the bios, well the hard drive has been
> formatted and like i said we dont have a floppy drive.
>
> any suggestions?

You don't say if the machine has a bootable CD drive. If so, you have a
fighting chance. I'm farily sure Compaq make/made a bootable CD
containing the equivalent of the floppy-set used to install the
propietary partition and/or run BIOS setup from the CD. You may have to
ask around to get a copy of this CD or ask Compaq for it.

If the machine doesn't have a bootable Cd drive - well you're gonna have
some serious hoops to jump through. Linux fdisk can create the utilities
partition for you (in another machine), but I don't how you'd get the
data onto it, as (at a guess) the HD would need to be the 1st HD on
whatever system you were trying to use to install the data.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 9:51:11 PM

Martin Slaney wrote:

> robotron -X- wrote:
> > Ok
> >
> > My friend has a compaq PII laptop WITHOUT a floppy drive.
> >
> > We need some help on figuring out how to get into the bios?
> >
> > Problem is , apparently you need to have some compaq data on the
> > hard drive in order to get into the bios, well the hard drive has been
> > formatted and like i said we dont have a floppy drive.
> >
> > any suggestions?
>
> You don't say if the machine has a bootable CD drive.

I'm not sure , the laptops at friends house so will have to check
that out tomorrow.

!