Solved

Setting up a VPN server

Ok i just got an iphone that will be replaceing my Windowes Mobile phone, this had hamachi on it that I used for my VPN. But there isnt a hamachi program for the iphone, so it looks like I will haft to make my own server to get in to my home LAN. I have server 2008 running 24/7 as a file server on my Home LAN, so I would like to use that if i can, since it is allready on all of the time. I just dont know how to set up a VPN server on server 2008.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about setting server
  1. I’m curious, what exactly are you using Hamachi for? The reason I ask is that VPN isn’t an end in itself, but a means to some end. The beauty of Hamachi is that it provides broad based access to a remote network just as if I you were there physically. You have transparent access to shared folders and printers, can run RDP clients, access servers, etc.

But there are other types of secured solutions that are more targeted, such as remote access to desktops (e.g., LogMeIn Free), or protecting yourself in an open wifi situation (e.g., HotSpot VPN), etc. I’ve seen ppl use something like Hamachi in an effort to address such problems, which while it will work, is overkill. IOW, why manage your own VPN if you don’t need to. Esp. if you’re just trying to support one device that doesn’t want to play ball.

I fear it may be difficult to replace Hamachi if you need that type of transparency, esp. if you end up needing VPN client support as well. IOW, you may end up w/ the same problem as Hamachi depending on the solution. You need to verify what other capabilities are available on that iPhone before even considering the VPN server side. Does it support PPTP? IPSec? Etc. I suspect if anything is going to work at all it may need to be SSL based (e.g., SSL Explorer).

I’m just thinking it *may* be easier to use individually secured SSL (browser-based) applications in this particular case, esp. if you’re using it for specific applications.
  2. P.S. You might even consider SSH solutions, but again, I don't know if the iPhone supports the SSH client.
  3. I use Hamachi mainly for RDP, with my Windows Mobile Phone. I was already using it for file sharing and printers and RDP with my laptops and other computers, so when I got my WM phone, I just figured it would be the easiest way to remote desktop my computers. I tried to do some file sharing with my WM phone but I never got it to work.

I think I would use Remote desktop mainly for the iphone.
  4. Then I would consider using LogMeIn Ignition.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/ignition/iphone/

Yeah, it’ll cost you $30, but it’s worth it (imo) rather than managing your own VPN. And I would bet they’ve even designed the application in ways that are more accommodating to the much smaller screen of the iPhone.

LogMeIn is superior to RDP in some respects anyway. It uses a rendezvous server and NAT traversal, so you don't even need to manage/open ports on your firewall. And anytime you have ports open, there's the risk the service(s) on that port could be hacked by someone poking around for vulnerabilities.
  5. Hmm I will haft to think about ignition
    I wish they would give my a 30 day trial or something to see if I like it or not
    I think I will haft to look for an alternative at the moment, my spending money low right now after buying the iphone. :(

Anyways I would still like to try to set up a VPN on server 2008 computer, Because nothing really replaced a VPN connection. I try awhile ago just to see if I could to it. But I never got it working right. I got it to connect to the server but it only would connect some of the time and it never got access to the network. And I am not sure how it need to be set up my physical network with the server, do I haft to make it so that the server is connected directly to my internet connection on NIC 1 then connects in to the LAN in NIC 2. Right now the server is just a normal Node on the LAN one connection from NIC1 to a switch, behind a router.

Thanks for your help so far!
  6. Catsrules said:
    Hmm I will haft to think about ignition
    I wish they would give my a 30 day trial or something to see if I like it or not
    I think I will haft to look for an alternative at the moment, my spending money low right now after buying the iphone. :(

Anyways I would still like to try to set up a VPN on server 2008 computer, Because nothing really replaced a VPN connection. I try awhile ago just to see if I could to it. But I never got it working right. I got it to connect to the server but it only would connect some of the time and it never got access to the network. And I am not sure how it need to be set up my physical network with the server, do I haft to make it so that the server is connected directly to my internet connection on NIC 1 then connects in to the LAN in NIC 2. Right now the server is just a normal Node on the LAN one connection from NIC1 to a switch, behind a router.

Thanks for your help so far!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0ajw47gXFQ

Plenty of other videos as well.

Remember what I said, for any given VPN, you’re going to need a compatible VPN client to match it based on PPTP, or IPsec, or whatever. It’s hard enough getting these VPNs to work w/ Windows clients, let alone on a handheld device by Apple to a MS VPN Server! Not saying it can’t work, but let’s face it, we’re working on the margins of what’s possible here.

Anyway, I don’t own an iPhone, so I can help diagnose any problems in setting up a VPN client w/ it. I suggest locating an iPhone centric forum elsewhere. If you approach it from a generic VPN perspective, you’re probably gonna end up w/ a lot guys like me; plenty of expertise in MS, Windows, VPN, etc., but next to little wrt VPN + iPhone.
  7. Well maybe I will get ignition. I like the duel monitor support.
  8. Ok I have set up my VPN server, I am trying to get my laptop windowes 7 pro to VPN in.
    So far I can get in to work if I type in the server Local IP for the Host Name, But when I type in the public address that my ISP provides it doesn't work. The server is behind a router, and I port forwarded PPTP port number 1723 to my servers local IP. I also try L2PT, at 1701. But no luck. Hopefully I am just missing a minor detail in my set up.
  9. Best answer
    Also forward ports 50, 51, and 500.
  10. nope still doesn't work

*update*
    I did some digging on the web, found out my stupid NetGear Router doesn't support protocol 47 AKA GRE, I guess this is needed for PPTP.
    So I disabled PPTP on my Client and try to connect local with L2TP. It came back with a "Error 807, The network connection between your computer and the VPN Server was interrupted".

So I am guessing this it my Server's problem. I also disabled my firewall on my client computer but it is still had that error.
  11. Best answer selected by Catsrules.
Ask a new question

Read More

VPN Servers Networking