Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temp/Ram Timings/ Random Black/White Screen? Help With New Build

Last response: in Systems
May 6, 2010 8:37:46 AM

Hello all. So I finished building my first computer and now I need some help working out the issues. First off here is my build

i5 750
HD Radeon 5770
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333
Asus P7P55D-E-Pro
CoolerlMaster RC690
Antec EarthWatts 750W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

So first I worry about the CPU Temps.

I don't really know much but that seems a little high for being idle. Also there is almost a 6 degree difference between two cores. Is this common or could the thermal paste not be dispersed evenly. I'm using the stock cooler that came with the CPU. After about 5 min of Prime95 the temps rose to an average of 67C with the highest at 69C. Again the same core as before. Is all this right or am I worrying for nothing.

Noticed I linked to the Ram I bought. The specification list the timings as 7-7-7-21. However when I check using CPU-Z I get this.

I found the options in the bios to change them but there is a lot more options than just those four. If those are wrong, does that mean I need to change the others as well? What do I change them too? I don't want to overclock right now I'm just trying to get everything running to spec.

My other problem(that I noticed so far), is sometimes, it seems random, I turn my computer on, All the loading stuff goes by, then it just goes to a black. Not the kind of black when the monitor shuts off but black like a black screen. It will just sit there until I reboot the computer. When I do there is usually no problem after that until it happens again.
**EDIT This has happened inside windows 7 but unlike the following the computer did not keep working.**

Finally, sometimes my screen goes completely white. This happens once windows is loaded and always when I am changing which window is in the foreground. It doesn't seem to be any particular window or program that is causing it. I still get sound. For example if I have music playing in the background it keeps going.

Once I figure these out, are there any other tests I should run to flush out any other potential problems before I'm out of RMA time.

Thanks for your help it is much appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2010 4:22:15 PM

What is your ambient (Room) temp

(1) Your temps at Idle and under load are higer than most for stock (no OC). Idle is acceptable, Load is under max. Stock Heat sync. Intel HSH /push pins are louys - recommend a after market HSF.

(2) Memory. Your Bios has probably loaded defaul values. Look under SPD for nominal values and Dimm Voltage. In Bios set memory to use Profile found under SPD. Verify dimm voltage is set correctly.

(3) Down load program to monitor voltages and temps. (I use CPUID HWMonitor - It does not display my +12 V correctly, Have gigabyte MB).

In addition to monitoring temps, monitor voltages. (You can look at CPU voltage, if high could be reason for high cpu core temps. Check Dimm voltage, should be as found under SPD Tab. While running Prime 95 (or furmark) Verify that your +5 does not drop below 4.75 and +12 V does not drop Below 11.4 (This is spec, I use no lower than 11.6 V)

Added: on memory, normally you just set the first 4 values and leave the rest on auto. Selecting the profile loaded into the ram modules should do it. I have the Ripjaw 1.6 V 1600 CL7 and selecting profile1 (Again Gigabyte MB) set everthing perfect.

m
l
May 6, 2010 10:13:08 PM

Quote:
2) Memory. Your Bios has probably loaded defaul values. Look under SPD for nominal values and Dimm Voltage. In Bios set memory to use Profile found under SPD. Verify dimm voltage is set correctly.

Where do I find SPD? I can take pictures of the whole BIOS if needed.

Quote:
In addition to monitoring temps, monitor voltages. (You can look at CPU voltage, if high could be reason for high cpu core temps. Check Dimm voltage, should be as found under SPD Tab. While running Prime 95 (or furmark) Verify that your +5 does not drop below 4.75 and +12 V does not drop Below 11.4 (This is spec, I use no lower than 11.6 V)

Could the computer locking up be related to the temps? Today when I started my computer it powered on but the monitor said there was no signal. I unplugged it and plugged it back in but no luck. I turned the comp off but holding the power button. When I restarted it, Windows said it had failed to load properly and wanted to do a system restore. This is the first time it happened like this. Could it be the same lockup I'm already experiencing.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2010 10:43:18 PM

If I am not mistaken, you have a pretty high overclock going on that i5. Its looking like 4.3GHz? People dont often get that even with top of the line air coolers. You really probably should not overclock it much with the stock cooler.

Also you will likely have to set your RAM specs manually in the bios. The auto settings never seem to get it right.
m
l
May 6, 2010 10:54:24 PM

I haven't overclocked it. At least it shouldn't be. I just saw what the frequency said and that has to be a mistake. The multiplier shouldn't be anywhere near that high. I doubt its even possible.
Quote:
Also you will likely have to set your RAM specs manually in the bios. The auto settings never seem to get it right.

Do you know where to find what they are. I looked around G.Skill's website and the only found 7-7-7-21
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 213 à CPUs
May 6, 2010 11:34:20 PM

1. DDR1333 means you are going to see 667 in CPU-z.....the 1st D stands for "Double" Data Rate .... 667 x 2 = 1333.

2. Just change the 1st 4 RAM settings and leave all else as was.

3. A good Heat Sink will address your temp issues:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

m
l
!