Should i buy another case fan?

tricky tahmid

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I have a dual core e5200 which runs at 53c at idle and load, and an nvidia 9600gt which runs at 61C Idle and same temp at load...i wanna lower the temps. I have one case fan under the psu and there's room for another one right under it. So i want to get one. Will it help or will the temps be the same as before? Plz help.

sirv

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
If you have two fans blowing air out, that creates underpressure in the case. In other words, air gets sucked in, hopefully through holes covered in filters to help keep dust out. Course the back is the place to push air out, so I'm not suggesting you blow air in there.

Assuming you haven't done so in a year (or half a year if the case is on the floor -> more dust) you may want to remove the cooling blocks of your CPU and GPU (and perhaps other cooling blocks if present, but these two are most prominent and on average more susceptible to dust), and just clear those out. Any dust in there will vastly reduce the cooling power of the cooling blocks and thus the fans.

I still find it odd they're (both) the same temperature at idle and load.

Lutfij

Titan
Hey, i was thinking about opening a back plate (the lowest one). Will it help with the airflow in any way?

not really,(if the back of your case is facing a wall, your actually diverting some hot air to enter the case through the backplate) btw we don't know what case we're working here...so a lil info/specs may help

what sirv was trying to say is that you should have the same amount of air entering the case as it is leaving to maintain a tunnel effect (intake=exhaust).

the same temps @ idle and load could mean:

1| your having other processes in the background eating at your CPU
2|your seating of the HSF was improper
3|TIM is showing signs of age
4|Your case is clogged with dirt

how old is your rig?