Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Windows did not pass genuine Windows Validation

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 24, 2013 3:34:00 AM

My grandson loaded an old 2002 Office XP Standard for Students and Teachers CD From Microsoft thinking he would use it to help with homework. It took Word out of my XP and now I get the message that I might have a Software Counterfeiting problem. A box comes up from Microsoft to correct the problem, but that just takes me to an add to buy Microsoft 7 and I don't have that kind of money. Can't I just uninstall the teacher thing,and if so what would it be named, how do I do it? Will that bring back Word? I have a lot of files on Word that I really need. Thanks for any help you can give.

More about : windows pass genuine windows validation

January 24, 2013 2:02:01 PM

See if you have any system restore selections.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Try to find one before he installed the program. Don't go too far back on the restore point dates unless you have to. If you are having trouble finding any restore points try using CCleaner: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner once (or if) installed go to tools > system restore. CCleaner is a little more easier to see what restore point times then XP's. You will still need to use the system restore (the program that the MS page is showing you) so leave that open if you need to use CCleaner to find a restore point date.

If you don't have any restore points available then a reinstallation of the OS may be needed (unless someone knows of some other way of fixing this problem). If you don't have the Windows XP or some kind of factory restore disc then you have 3 choices.

1. Upgrade to Windows 7, 8 or an OS alternative.
2. See if anyone doesn't use their XP anymore (although i'm not entirely sure if this will pass the authentication process & you'll need a key).
3. Leave it as is. You won't get any more updates but i believe the system will work. It's not recommended but it's your call.
m
l