Sign in with
Your question

Unstable graphics card in Windows 7 - ATI X1950 Pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2010 11:47:12 AM

Hi guys,

I've been running my current computer & configuration (software & hardware) for about a year now with no problems. But last weekend (Easter weekend - 02/04/10 to 05/04/10), my computer started being unstable (crashing just seconds/minutes into windows startup - after the login screen).

System Configuration:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB PCI-e
Windows 7 64-bit Professional (upgraded a couple of months ago from Windows 7 RC to Win 7 Pro)

Here's what I know so far:
- Graphics card drivers has always been the windows 7 default drivers for my card
- machine appears to be completely stable in safe mode & using VGA drivers (I uninstall the display adapter in device manager to do this)
- I have tried other ATI drivers (10.2 with CCC, 10.2 WDM, 8.1 WDM) but all behave the same
- have tried system restore to an earlier date (system restore fails)
- only thing installed during that weekend was Borderlands game a few days before the problem occured (multiple start-ups and shutdowns have been performed successfully since it was installed). I have since uninstalled it with no effect

Does anyone have any suggestion about what I can do? Thanks very much in advance, guys!

More about : unstable graphics card windows ati x1950 pro

a b U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2010 1:41:42 PM

Yeah. ATI stopped supporting DX9 only cards a few months back, so you need to use a supported driver verson.
Related resources
April 9, 2010 1:55:19 PM

Hey fellas,

Thanks for the response. You're both absolutely right about driver version. The most up-to-date version for my video card is 9.3. Unfortunately, this didn't resolve my issue :(  I can see an improvement though, I actually managed to play a video for about 10 minutes before the crash happened (Playing any videos used to cause an instant crash).

For anyone who is interested about installing the Version 9.3 drivers but had problems installing it, just like me - there's a tutorial for installing it correctly on Windows 7 here:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&th...

Any other suggestions for my problem? :sweat: 
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 2:08:18 PM

Lets start by ruling out the card as a hardware issue since you have worked with it already on the driver end. Open the case and inspect the card for such thing as bad caps and the cooler is clogged with dust. Before that you can get rive tuner and check your temps to see if they are far to high. It is best to keep it under 70c but many last for some time at 80c or higher but typically fail at some point. Got a camera and a imageshack account if so snap a pic of it if you feel you want better advice. Cleaning is fairly simple.
April 10, 2010 1:35:16 AM

Hi Nforce,

I gave the card a very thorough dusting. Using the Catalyst Control Center, I've monitored the card's temperature. At startup it sits around 32 degrees celsius, 33c playing video and up to 37c running a game. My current room temperature is about 20c.

Upon close inspection, I haven't noticed anything abnormal on the card physically.

I think it's very safe to rule out the possibility of overheating.
!