Having trouble fitting mobo to i/o shield

rahl

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Hey guys - first time nooblet builder here. I can't seem to get the motherboard to fit with the i/o shield. The mobo's ports are all slightly too high to match the holes in the shield, and I have to force the mobo towards the back of the case hard enough to bend the shield in order to get the mobo's screw holes to line up with the case's standoffs. I've tried switching the HSF backplate orientation and forcing the mobo "down" toward the tray to no avail. I suspect it's got something to do with that HSF backplate though. Anybody care to help me out? I'm sure it's some completely stupid mistake on my part.

The relevant parts:
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler

Pics of the problem:
The case (no mobo)
The mobo (front, no case)
The mobo (back, no case, view 1)
The mobo (back, no case, view 2)
Mobo in case
I/O Shield outside (mobo in case)
I/O Shield inside (no mobo)
I/O Shield outside (no mobo)

Solution
Have you verified you standoff's are completely tight? Meaning have you used pliers to tighten them fully down. You are only looking at very minimal decrease in height, so it might help. Also, you can look to purchase smaller standoff's but that won't be my recommendation.

You will have to push the motherboard hard against the I/O shield to create a seal and it isn't very uncommon that they are slightly off (not as much as your but slightly).

If worse comes to worse, run with out the I/O shield... it isn't a must :D

tecmo34

Administrator
Have you verified you standoff's are completely tight? Meaning have you used pliers to tighten them fully down. You are only looking at very minimal decrease in height, so it might help. Also, you can look to purchase smaller standoff's but that won't be my recommendation.

You will have to push the motherboard hard against the I/O shield to create a seal and it isn't very uncommon that they are slightly off (not as much as your but slightly).

If worse comes to worse, run with out the I/O shield... it isn't a must :D

Solution

rahl

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks to both of you! I tightened up the standoffs and pushed a bit more, and the mobo fits the i/o shield close enough to be usable. The system's up and running well.

@tecmo34 - it's an honor to receive further assistance from you, sir. Your step-by-step guide to building a pc has been a great supplement for the manuals that came with everything.

@Motopsychojdn - thanks for the encouragement! I still have a lot to learn, but these forums and heavy doses of rtfm have saved me from some of the worst mistakes. :)

tecmo34

Administrator

You are welcome!! Glad everything is up and running smoothly!!

Thanks for the best answer nod! :D