ASUS P8P67 LE Overclock Question

jakemo

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I'm working on a much needed system upgrade and am looking at the ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard to pair with a 2500k CPU. I still have a few PATA drives which is what drew me to the board in the first place. I've been trying to read all the reviews I can but it seems that most are driven towards the higher end P67's. Will this board allow me to overclock the K processor to its potential or do will I need to upgrade to one that includes DIGI+. Sorry if these are easy questions, I've been away from this stuff for way too long and am behind the curve.

thanks

Solution

I was in the same situation as you and wanted to use my old PATA drives for extra storage and had no real use for the Bluetooth or extra USB 3.0 ports that come with the PRO...

icemule1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

I was in the same situation as you and wanted to use my old PATA drives for extra storage and had no real use for the Bluetooth or extra USB 3.0 ports that come with the PRO (and plus, the LE board is $40 cheaper). In attempting to overclock my 2500K I discovered that there is no way to adjust CPU voltage in the BIOS unlike in the PRO mobo. This forces you to rely on the mobo's auto voltage adjuster (sometimes called an auto Vcore) to increase the voltage to the correct amount. Unfortunately, there have been reports that the auto vcore sometimes over volts which could cause the lifespan of the processor to be shorter than otherwise.

Another disadvantage to getting this board (well, not really a problem with the board but moreso a problem with Asus) is that they don't seem to update the BIOS often. If you look at all the updates the PRO board has gotten, it is obvious they are catering more to the users of that board, probably because it's more popular. It's already coming up on the end of January and the only BIOS available for the LE is the initial v0703.

I hope this helps.

Solution

jakemo

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Icemule thanks for the info. Its good to hear someones opinion who has the board (other than the posts on Newegg which I don't trust all the time). I know this is a brand new socket, but it seems theres a lot more info on the high end boards and not much on the low to mid range yet. Hadn't considered difference in BIOS updates until you mentioned it. Just ran over to the ASUS site and the Pro board does have 3 revisions out vs the initial for the LE....too bad theres a lack of support there.

Sounds like the PRO will handle the OC more accurately and has more bells and whistles, now I just need to decide if a modest OC would be sufficient (to avoid the possibility of over volting) and keeping my couple old drives is worth the $40. I do have a WHS for storage, but would need an additional drive to complement a solid state.

Thanks for the input!

icemule1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

No problem. I wrote a review on Newegg for the LE board but they haven't approved it yet but it mentions something similar to what I wrote above. Hopefully it will appear on there in the next few days to let people know some of the problems with this board.

I was able to find the CPU voltage setting tonight. It isn't in the BIOS as the manual would indicate but it seems like the only way to access it is in the included Asus software called AI Suite II. So I'm working on doing my full 4.5 Ghz+ overclock tonight. Wanted to let you know that before you made your decision.

jakemo

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

Wasn't trying to bash Newegg as thats where I buy pretty much all of my stuff from (and often post reviews), but it seems many of the reviews for many of the products are either love it or hate it with not much detail as to why in either case. Let me know how it goes and if it would change your perception of the board or not. I see that its $10 cheaper today which makes it more compelling if the OC capabilities are decent

simulacrumble

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

simulacrumble

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Yo icemule, I am getting one of those P8p67 le with a 2500k , and was wondering how you have got on with O´Clocking it.?

Been reading that the Auto Vcore goes too high and that Overclocking is pretty much crippled....

Maybe you can help shed some light on the situation for me!! If you have been successful maybe post up how you did it dude!!!

Cheers bud!!

Peace

icemule1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

Hey Simulacrumble,

I managed to OC it to 4.5 GHz keeping the voltage at 1.328v (acceptable) during a full load. The way I did it was I went into the BIOS and in the AITweaker section, I set the Overclock Tuner to Manual, then changed the Turbo Ratio to be By Core, then set each core to 45. I left the VCCIO and PCH to Auto. See screenshot for my results. Left it on for an hour and it was stable at the speed below. You can't fine tune the P8P67 LE as well as the other boards like the PRO, but it's good enough for me and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I'm using BIOS 1003, FYI.

-Icemule1

AsusP8P67Overclocked.png

simulacrumble

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Awesome, you have just given me peace of mind regarding my purchase!!

Do you game on your rig?? If so , what card do you have and what kind of perfomance do you get??

I have a inno3d 560ti ordered!!

I hope i can run the latest games pretty well, battlefield 3, skyrim , deus x!!!

Cheers bud

TRENDING THREADS