USB 3.0 Box ASUS P8P67 Deluxe into HAF X Case

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Disclaimer: To experienced computer builders the below may seem obvious, but hoping to save those less experienced some time when buying the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe motherboard to install in a Cooler Master HAF X case.

While the CM HAF X is a very nice case, and the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe is a very nice motherboard, a small problem occurs when trying to mount the box into the case. The problem is the HAF X does not include any 3.5" bays in the front to mount the USB 3.0 box supplied by ASUS with the motherboard, and which provide access to USB 3.0. The HAF X does however provide two long thick blue cables attached to the USB 3.0 ports already pre-installed on the front of the case.

But the cable attached to the box is very short, limiting how and where you can install it. So I imagine many people will just leave the box flopping around loose, or not install USB 3.0 at all.

There is a work around, and I managed to get it installed by using one internal 3.5" bay instead, and then connecting the two long blue cables to the ports on the box. There are a couple of tricks to make this work:

1) Remove the second hard drive tray from the second 3.5" internal bay down, leaving the first for your main drive. You could also move things around and use the top bay for this, which would give you a bit more slack on the box cable once it is plugged into the motherboard.

2) Remove all four metal pins from the white rubber washer/grommets in the tray, leaving the white rubber intact. The pins pull straight out pretty easily.

3) Install the drive in reverse with just two screws, with the ports facing the back of the case, and the cable side of the box facing you. The key here is to line up the port side (now the back after turning it around) of the box with the edge of the back of the tray until you get those two end screw holes on the box to align with those two end screw holes of the tray going through the white rubber grommets. The other screw holes don't line up in the tray, but 2 screws will hold it fine.

Get the screws from your bag of screws included with the HAF X, and use the smaller threaded ones to do this. Note that you will have to tighten down pretty good and they will distort the grommets some, but if you want the screw heads to clear the tray rails properly, this must be done. You'll see.

The back (the port side) of the box must line up with the back of the tray- too far back and you can't close the case with the blue cables plugged in- too far forward and the short box cable won't reach the motherboard.

4) Once you have the box in the tray, then carefully slide the tray into the rail on the case. If it's not going in, you didn't tighten the screws down enough, or you are not aligning it right. Try again. The port side of the box should now be facing the cable side of the case, and the cable from the box you are holding is what you have to route next.

5) Snake the box cable up through the hole in the left side of the same 3.5" bay, and you will see it just makes it to the USB 3.0 multi pin connector on the motherboard. Once routed, plug the box cable into the motherboard in the provided USB 3.0 connector, and then shut the tray clip.

6) Now remove the other cover of the HAF X, and route your long blue cables the best way you can to leave the slack in the cable slack cover at the bottom of the case. For me, it worked to initially route ALL case cables to the lower most opening in the motherboard tray, and then feed cables through where needed. Same with the blue USB 3.0 cables. Once routed simply plug them in to the ports, replace both covers, and you now have working USB 3.0 ports on the HAF X (assuming you have the controller enabled in the BIOS.)

:hello:

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
The USB 3.0 cables from your front case ports are intended to be plugged into the rear USB 3.0 I/O ports on the mobo. You can purchase a 5.25" to 3.5" bay adapter to use the Asus onboard USB 3.0 connection box to that. (I believe that the HAF-X has two 5.25 cover plates with 3.5 cutouts, hard to believe it doesn't have 3.5 adapter) You would then have 4 USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Yes, I know- but I am not going to have cables coming from the inside going to the outside. I just don't like it. That's why I went this route, and without any extra adapter purchases- I know about those too, just like the extra huge case fan. Don't need it either. This thing moves plenty of air the way it is.

And the cable to that box really is short, like way too short. ASUS skimped on that for sure. There should have been an extra foot at least on that cable, and more like two for cable management.

I'll bet one day someone finds this thread and can use the idea. After spending 200 bucks on a case, that is enough.

VBS6935

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
This is probably a dumb question, but I have the same situation, and am wondering if there is some sort of cable that would go from the front USB 3 ports to the front USB 3 header on the ASUS motherboard?

Thanks for the info.

Regards

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

I believe Cooler Master is working to provide this, but for the moment I don't believe there is one specifically for the HAF X.

There appears to be some issues with cable lengths in the 3.0 spec, which may be the reason the provided box cable is so short. But then that raises the question of how the HAF X USB 3.0 cables can be so long- and still work at 3.0 speeds?

I still don't own any 3.0 devices yet, but I did plug in a USB flash drive to the 3.0 ports just to test my little mod. Works fine.

VBS6935

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Since I saw your post, I have looked through the ASUS forums and the CoolMaster forums, and have done a Google search. Places like Cypress Industries don't seem to have the connector needed to hook to the USB 3 header on the ASUS motherboard:
http://www.cypressindustries.com

I am not sure how the towers other than the Haf are handling the front USB port problem as I haven't been able to tell from the specs given whether or not any cables are included with other towers that would use the USB 3 header on the ASUS motherboard.

I am going to use your solution. Thanks very much for pointing out the problem and the help in working around it.

Regards

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Quite welcome! So great, the thread was helpful to someone. I hope the instructions are clear enough- sorry I didn't bother with pictures and all that.

Not sure either what others are doing about it. But ideally at this point for the HAF X/P8P67 DL what we need is a new adapter, like a 19 pin on one side and a couple of USB 3.0 jacks on the other- or better yet- a new cable that replaces the existing ones with the proper plugs on each end.

VBS6935

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

:lol:

Wow, I'm amazed you found that. If you care to deal direct with China, be my guest. ;)

One spec on that cable I wasn't crazy about is the 1.5A rating. There are occassions that USB 2 can exceed that current draw, let alone USB 3. And it doesn't look like you are going to be able to do much cable management with it either. Yep, patience, agreed.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Well, you were right Studioman22, someone found this thread :)...
...after weeks of fruitlessly searching for a 19-pin USB 3.0 connector for my Gigabyte motherboard with front panel USB 3.0 ports on the other end. Gigabyte doesn't carry / stock / sell anything.

Thanks for the Alibaba link VBS6935. I'd buy one if I could find it.
This would be perfect however...
IF ONLY I COULD BUY ONE!

I wish I could find someone selling a Asus 3.0 box :(

BTW, the 1.5A is for the VBUS, 0.5A is for the signal, so it should be OK.

pantbuild

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Studioman22: Well here it is MONTHS after your post on the USB box issue with HAF-X and I'm in the middle of my first build with HAF-X+ASUS Deluxe and have been scratching my head as to WTH I could do and here you are!.. I stumbled upon your post here and agree that this is the cat's meow answer! I'm gong to use it and thank you very much for sharing this solution. - Pantbuild

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
The Lian li adapter is a good idea, and the solution to a marketplace omission. Up until now, one had to pay a premium for a MB that included a Front Panel accessory, or simply do without because they are not sold as accessories. And snaking cables to the back of the case is sloppy.
I bought a Asus Front Panel Box from a P8P67 Deluxe that was on Ebay. Then modded an empty drive bay cover, installed the 3.5" box with 5.25" brackets in the bay, and connected the 20-pin connector to the GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 MB.
Works perfectly, and the cable is just the right length.
USB30installed.jpg

richieoflynn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Came across this post looking for an answer to the same problem so thanks for taking the time to post a solution. Well, I did what you suggested putting the box in one of the 3.5" bays but found that the cover was pressing on the cables when I put it back on, very tight. I was then looking at the Lian Li one and then thought, maybe I should just open up the Asus box and of course what's inside the box ? Just a bloody cable !!! So I took it out of the box, chucked the box in the bin and just connected it all up. Simples !

aigeezer

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
maybe I should just open up the Asus box

Thank you all for the ideas on this thread. I was emboldened by richieoflynn's suggestion to pry my Asus USB box open, and it is exactly as he said - just a cable inside. For anyone wanting to try it... I found the box opened easily when I inserted a small flat screwdriver tip alternating from side to side, starting at the end with the cable, and gradually hinging it open from that end. I didn't want to damage the box in case I decided to keep it.

TRENDING THREADS