rhydiansmith

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi, I recently finished building a desktop pc, and I was wondering if I could run 64 bit Windows XP on it.

My Specs are:
EPoX 4PDA5+ Motherboard
Intel Celeron D 2.9GHz
3GB DDR RAM
nVidia GeForce 6200 GFX
and some other stuff....

Thanks

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Boot up the setup disc. If Windows XP x64 will run on your computer setup will function normally. If your computer is not x64 capable you will get a message to say so and it will reboot. However this does not mean that ALL your hardware will be compatible. Most things will work, but if you've got anything a bit old, it might not work as there may be no x64 compatible drivers. check the manufacturer website for them.

daship

Distinguished
64bit xp is buggy as hell, and drivers are worse, if you want 64bit buy a decent computer and windows 7.

You only got 3g ram anyhow, and that is more then enough for xp, and it will use it all.

The first 64-bit x86 CPUs were the Athlon 64s. Intel was holding out because they were pushing Itanium. By the time they gave in they had moved to LGA 775. Anyway, if you want to run x64, you're going to need something a little more modern. XP x64 is o.k, a little more problematic than Xp 32-bit though. The only thing I didn't like, was that drivers for some devices are a bit of a pain especially when they have 64-bit Vista & Win7 drivers, but not 64-bit XP drivers. Finding a wireless USB adapter that had drivers for both my OSs was a pain in the butt :D.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I have to draw issue with the guy who said XP 64 bit was 'as buggy as hell, with worse drivers'.

XP 64 bit is based on Win Server 2003 64 bit, and has been to date the MOST SOLID OS I've yet seen.

Yes, finding the drivers can be a bit of a pain. But that doesn't mean they are not qualified for the platform.

I've been using XP 64bit for my gaming rigs (of which two have been laptops), running 8GB RAM, and save for the fact you cannot do DX10/11 graphics on XP, it has consistently provided the best frame rates and the best 3DMark06 scores. Look it up on Futuremark's website. You'll see the OS detected as Windows Server 2003 x64.

Have a nice day.