SP2 Upgrade - printer not working

manu

Have just taken the plunge and upgraded to SP2. Couple of problems
discovered so far - the main one being my HP Officejet Pro 1170c does not
now work following the upgrade.

Have been to the HP website but cannot find anything helpful there.

Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Have you had a look at http://snipurl.com/c242

John Allen

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:02:58 -0000, "manu"
<les.swindells@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>HP Officejet Pro 1170c

manu

Hi, yes thanks, that has helped a little but not totally.

Somehow the printer BIOS settings have changed in the SP2 upgrade? I've now
reset them to ECP and DMA channel 1.

This then allowed me to print a document from Word, and then I printed an
e-mail from Outlook.

Fine so far.......then I tried to print a page from Internet Explorer and
the document "failed to print"

I could not go back and reprint from Word etc.

Re-booted, and was able to reprint from Word, but as soon as I tried to
print from IE, printing failed again. This totally locks up the printing
process.

Beginning to think this may be something connected to a SP2 firewall issue?
I have Norton Internet Security enabled, and Windows firewall disabled.

Any more suggestions from anyone please?

"John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
Have you had a look at http://snipurl.com/c242

John Allen

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:02:58 -0000, "manu"
<les.swindells@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>HP Officejet Pro 1170c

When you say there was nothing helpful at the HP site, did you check to make
sure you have the latest XP compatible drivers for your printer?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"manu" <les.swindells@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, yes thanks, that has helped a little but not totally.
>

> Somehow the printer BIOS settings have changed in the SP2 upgrade? I've
> now
> reset them to ECP and DMA channel 1.
>
> This then allowed me to print a document from Word, and then I printed an
> e-mail from Outlook.
>

> Fine so far.......then I tried to print a page from Internet Explorer and
> the document "failed to print"
>
> I could not go back and reprint from Word etc.
>

> Re-booted, and was able to reprint from Word, but as soon as I tried to
> print from IE, printing failed again. This totally locks up the printing
> process.
>

> Beginning to think this may be something connected to a SP2 firewall
> issue?
> I have Norton Internet Security enabled, and Windows firewall disabled.
>

> Any more suggestions from anyone please?
>

> "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
> Have you had a look at http://snipurl.com/c242
>
> John Allen
>
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:02:58 -0000, "manu"
> <les.swindells@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>HP Officejet Pro 1170c

manu

Found the fix:-

Launch Internet Explorer and from its Toolbar select:
Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and place a check

next to "Enable third-party browser extensions" and

"Print background colors and images", then click Apply.

If these optuions are already enabled, disable, then re-apply and re-boot.

When you say there was nothing helpful at the HP site, did you check to make
sure you have the latest XP compatible drivers for your printer?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"manu" <les.swindells@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi, yes thanks, that has helped a little but not totally.
>

> Somehow the printer BIOS settings have changed in the SP2 upgrade? I've
> now
> reset them to ECP and DMA channel 1.
>
> This then allowed me to print a document from Word, and then I printed an
> e-mail from Outlook.
>

> Fine so far.......then I tried to print a page from Internet Explorer and
> the document "failed to print"
>
> I could not go back and reprint from Word etc.
>

> Re-booted, and was able to reprint from Word, but as soon as I tried to
> print from IE, printing failed again. This totally locks up the printing
> process.
>

> Beginning to think this may be something connected to a SP2 firewall
> issue?
> I have Norton Internet Security enabled, and Windows firewall disabled.
>

> Any more suggestions from anyone please?
>

> "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
> Have you had a look at http://snipurl.com/c242
>
> John Allen
>
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:02:58 -0000, "manu"
> <les.swindells@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>HP Officejet Pro 1170c

Thanks for letting us know.