ATI 5870 question.

Gixbit

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
So, I've been looking around and around a nice bit now. It seems like all the reviews do not address a single issue anyone is having which is really weird but, not really since I know how those things work.

Okay so, With the hundreds of grey screens, black screens, post issues, etc. that everyone is having... What does this mean? Is it just some cards? a Batch of bad cards? Every card? Drivers? Firmware? Anything? I think this is sorta not addressed enough. I'm not one to post on forums to ask these kind of questions but, I'm kind of sick of seeing all the problems that everyone is reporting. Is this *** normal or what? Does anyone even know what Im asking?

I'm asking is this card Screwed? Or is it actually just everyone else having issues with their card due to something that is not their fault? is anything being done for them due to these problems? Anyone have anything at all on this?

Solution
First of all; love the hollow-ichigo avatar.

First of all; love the hollow-ichigo avatar.

Solution

Gixbit

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009

Kk. I see.

I ask because I own a 4870 x2. I'm not exactly enjoying it because every game i play unsightly tearing and/or massive skips but, the framerate being shown is usually greater than 60. But, It sorta makes no sense where other games tearing isnt really an issue but, there are these big ******* skips. Some games are horrible others are fine. All of the valve games like HL2 seem to be fine.

So I read around a bit and the symptoms caused by microstuttering seem to be very close to what is happening for me. That or faulty card. Im not really gonna say theres a temperature but for the most part @50% it stays between 70 and 80.

But, I figure in order to determine if it is a microstutter issue. Getting a new card or one known to work will pretty much tell me. Of course I have no other card that has Smartshader 3.0 or higher. My friend does but, he makes excuses. It's also an nvidia card. Thats a lot of messing around to test out a theory.

Also, Hollow-ichigo avatar. Snapped it from earlier episodes in bleach. Good show, I've seen every tv release of it to date. Including the lamely boring filler.