Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hot CPU!?!?!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 13, 2010 9:54:36 PM

i have a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H MOBO, AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ cpu. i have a stock CPU cooler and all ive been doing on my computer is surfing the web and stuff because i dont have a good video card yet for games. Also i leave it on for several days at a time unless its thundering out or something like that...so i looked on everest unlimited and it shows...

-Motherboard: 46 °C (115 °F)
-CPU: 34 °C (93 °F)
-CPU #1 / Core #1: 44 °C (111 °F)
-CPU #1 / Core #2: 48 °C (118 °F)
-Aux 43 °C (109 °F)

the second cpu core has been as high as 120 °F that ive noticed.

is this normal?
how can i fix this?

More about : hot cpu

a b à CPUs
July 13, 2010 9:59:33 PM

Are these temps at idle or at load? Are you overclocked or is this at stock? I've seen cooler temps but these aren't really much to worry about. If it were me I would want to try and get these a bit cooler although it all depends whether or not you live in a hot country etc.

Try removing the heatsink, cleaning off any old thermal paste from the heatsink and the CPU, then applying a new layer of thermal paste and re-fixing the heatsink. This may just do the job. Also how is the general airflow through your case?

If you need more info on overheating and how to keep your system cool then feel free to have a nose through my guide - the link is in my sig. Hope this helps and good luck!
July 13, 2010 10:29:43 PM

It was idle, then i was surfing the web for like 20min and i decided to check the temps. I am not over clocking. i only have the heat sink fan and PSU fan. i don't have a rear fan. other wise the air seems pretty stagnant. maybe a rear fan would help?

Thanks
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2010 2:12:57 AM

Although the temperatures are not bad, they are not that good either. You should install at least one fan in your case to increase airflow. You can see that the temperature in your case is high already by the motherboard 46oC.
July 14, 2010 2:42:58 AM

Ok thanks. I'll look into getting a fan

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 15, 2010 5:20:50 AM

No problem... mind you, if you can get 2 at least, it would be ideal.

This is what you should be trying to do:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/xoxide/negative-pressure...

http://www.theschierers.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/200...

Hope that helps...
July 15, 2010 1:07:33 PM

great it sure does! I'm not sure if my case has a front vent l, but I'll have to check.

Thanks
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2010 1:20:25 AM

You are welcome
July 26, 2010 1:14:07 AM

Best answer selected by matt_mu.
!