Java links won't open?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 11:25:59 PM

I'm not sure if this is a Netscape problem or and XP problem or what.

I have a Sharp laptop with XP Pro on it, 256mb RAM, 40G hard drive. I
use Netscape 7.1 and IE6.

About a third of the time, when I try and click on a link on a webpage
that seems to be written in Javascript, absolutely nothing happens.
There isn't even an attempt by the computer to try and access the
link, it's as if I didn't even click on it at all. Same thing happens
in IE6.

However, the same link WILL work when I access it through AOL (8.0).

I say it's Javascript related because every time I get one of these
non-opening links, it says "javascript" something in the taskbar at
the bottom of Netscape.

I have cleaned out my cache dozens of times in both programs. I have
deleted every cookie on my machine. I have at various times set both
programs to allow cookies and to block cookies. Nothing works. I still
can't access the links in Netscape 7.1 or IE6 but I can in AOL.

I don't know if this is Netscape related or laptop related or XP
related or what (since it also happens in IE6). I hope someone can
come up with a solution.

I'm really getting very frustrated with this mess....

Thanks,
Cathy

More about : java links open

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 11:26:00 PM

cathy wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a Netscape problem or and XP problem or what.
>
> I have a Sharp laptop with XP Pro on it, 256mb RAM, 40G hard drive. I
> use Netscape 7.1 and IE6.
>
> About a third of the time, when I try and click on a link on a webpage
> that seems to be written in Javascript, absolutely nothing happens.
> There isn't even an attempt by the computer to try and access the
> link, it's as if I didn't even click on it at all. Same thing happens
> in IE6.
>
> However, the same link WILL work when I access it through AOL (8.0).
>
> I say it's Javascript related because every time I get one of these
> non-opening links, it says "javascript" something in the taskbar at
> the bottom of Netscape.
>
> I have cleaned out my cache dozens of times in both programs. I have
> deleted every cookie on my machine. I have at various times set both
> programs to allow cookies and to block cookies. Nothing works. I still
> can't access the links in Netscape 7.1 or IE6 but I can in AOL.
>
> I don't know if this is Netscape related or laptop related or XP
> related or what (since it also happens in IE6). I hope someone can
> come up with a solution.
>
> I'm really getting very frustrated with this mess....
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy

It gets worse with SP2. Perhaps updating to the latest Java runtime
might help. http://www.java.com

a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 11:26:00 PM

cathy wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a Netscape problem or and XP problem or what.
>
> I have a Sharp laptop with XP Pro on it, 256mb RAM, 40G hard drive. I
> use Netscape 7.1 and IE6.
>
> About a third of the time, when I try and click on a link on a webpage
> that seems to be written in Javascript, absolutely nothing happens.
> There isn't even an attempt by the computer to try and access the
> link, it's as if I didn't even click on it at all. Same thing happens
> in IE6.
>
> However, the same link WILL work when I access it through AOL (8.0).
>
> I say it's Javascript related because every time I get one of these
> non-opening links, it says "javascript" something in the taskbar at
> the bottom of Netscape.
>
> I have cleaned out my cache dozens of times in both programs. I have
> deleted every cookie on my machine. I have at various times set both
> programs to allow cookies and to block cookies. Nothing works. I still
> can't access the links in Netscape 7.1 or IE6 but I can in AOL.
>
> I don't know if this is Netscape related or laptop related or XP
> related or what (since it also happens in IE6). I hope someone can
> come up with a solution.
>
> I'm really getting very frustrated with this mess....
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy

....bit of a hurry on my first reply. Also, go to Internet options,
Security tab, Custom Level, and verify that javascript is allowed to
run. Medium Safety in Java permissions works for me.

a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 12:59:54 AM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:03:54 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>cathy wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is a Netscape problem or and XP problem or what.
>>
>> I have a Sharp laptop with XP Pro on it, 256mb RAM, 40G hard drive. I
>> use Netscape 7.1 and IE6.
>>
>> About a third of the time, when I try and click on a link on a webpage
>> that seems to be written in Javascript, absolutely nothing happens.
>> There isn't even an attempt by the computer to try and access the
>> link, it's as if I didn't even click on it at all. Same thing happens
>> in IE6.
>>
>> However, the same link WILL work when I access it through AOL (8.0).
>>
>> I say it's Javascript related because every time I get one of these
>> non-opening links, it says "javascript" something in the taskbar at
>> the bottom of Netscape.
>>
>> I have cleaned out my cache dozens of times in both programs. I have
>> deleted every cookie on my machine. I have at various times set both
>> programs to allow cookies and to block cookies. Nothing works. I still
>> can't access the links in Netscape 7.1 or IE6 but I can in AOL.
>>
>> I don't know if this is Netscape related or laptop related or XP
>> related or what (since it also happens in IE6). I hope someone can
>> come up with a solution.
>>
>> I'm really getting very frustrated with this mess....
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cathy
>
>...bit of a hurry on my first reply. Also, go to Internet options,
>Security tab, Custom Level, and verify that javascript is allowed to
>run. Medium Safety in Java permissions works for me.

I'm assuming you mean in IE6....Java is allowed, enabled, and whatever
else it needs to run, and the safety is set at Meduim. It's always
been at that setting. But thank you for the advice.
Cathy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 2:07:03 PM

cathy wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:03:54 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>
>> cathy wrote:
>>> I'm not sure if this is a Netscape problem or and XP problem or
>>> what.
>>>
>>> I have a Sharp laptop with XP Pro on it, 256mb RAM, 40G hard drive.
>>> I use Netscape 7.1 and IE6.
>>>
>>> About a third of the time, when I try and click on a link on a
>>> webpage that seems to be written in Javascript, absolutely nothing
>>> happens. There isn't even an attempt by the computer to try and
>>> access the link, it's as if I didn't even click on it at all. Same
>>> thing happens in IE6.
>>>
>>> However, the same link WILL work when I access it through AOL (8.0).
>>>
>>> I say it's Javascript related because every time I get one of these
>>> non-opening links, it says "javascript" something in the taskbar at
>>> the bottom of Netscape.
>>>
>>> I have cleaned out my cache dozens of times in both programs. I have
>>> deleted every cookie on my machine. I have at various times set both
>>> programs to allow cookies and to block cookies. Nothing works. I
>>> still can't access the links in Netscape 7.1 or IE6 but I can in
>>> AOL.
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is Netscape related or laptop related or XP
>>> related or what (since it also happens in IE6). I hope someone can
>>> come up with a solution.
>>>
>>> I'm really getting very frustrated with this mess....
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Cathy
>>
>> ...bit of a hurry on my first reply. Also, go to Internet options,
>> Security tab, Custom Level, and verify that javascript is allowed to
>> run. Medium Safety in Java permissions works for me.

> I'm assuming you mean in IE6....Java is allowed, enabled, and whatever
> else it needs to run, and the safety is set at Meduim. It's always
> been at that setting. But thank you for the advice.
> Cathy

Internet Options is a control panel, sorry not to be explicit. Many
users know this better than the Tools/Internet options in Explorer.
Since you use AOL, it might well have changed the file association and
actions for javascript to meet its own deranged requirements. Please
post back a typical URL for the failed execution and I will have a look
at my stock windows associations.