890GPA UD3H - Win 7 won't install

buick55man

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I have a phenom II on this board and ocz memory (2x4).

Centos linux installed fine.

Win 7 (64 or 32) will not install. Install hangs after copying install files (stuck at Starting Windows).

Tried XP install. Get blue screen during 'file copy' section of install

Have tried multiple empty drives, both sata and ide.

Any help appreciated

buick55man

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Thx. Unfort, have removed linux completely.

Perhaps I could use some other bootable tools.

MEMTEST was my first thought, also. I once had problems installing WinXP pro and it turned out to be a bad memory stick. I removed that stick and Windows installed without a hitch! :D

Gestarken

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I have windoz troubles with this board too. I have Phenom II 1075t chip and 4 g ddr3 mem. Will not install Win7 properly. XP will install ok but everything is slow as molasses at twenty below. Takes more than ten seconds to open any prog. Takes hours to update windoZ. Any disk access is a snooze. Have fastest 7200 sata I could find... Never had this trouble with other mb's. One thing that helps is to chase down all latest drivers. This board, I think, has issues with its video and audio componets. Disable onboard stuff and install fast video card and sound card helps. Also found that the dual channel memory config slowed mine down...I know it is supposed to speed up memory access but...If you use all memory slots, be sure all mem is the exact same stuff by the same company. If you only use two sticks, put them in slot 0, 1 and see if it works better than 0,3 for dual channel. I don't like this board. Worst I ever dealt with, besides an old Intel board made by Foxconn.