Your question

Windows xp installed as F: drive

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows XP
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows XP
January 24, 2013 4:28:39 PM

I just installed Win XP Pro on brand new hard drive. There was another hard drive which contained My Documents folder. Windows installed on F: drive and the C: drive is now NOT the operating system but only contains data files. WTF? I thought the C: drive was always the operating system. Everything runs fine except the computer is upside down. Have to scroll down to the F: drive to see Documents and Settings, for example. Can someone help? Is there an easy way to change the drive letters, making the C: drive the operating system as it's supposed to be?

More about : windows installed drive

January 24, 2013 5:24:17 PM

It could be done but it's very risky. Far easier is to put a shortcut to the Documents folder on to the Desktop. In fairness to XP, it will have offered options at to which partition to format and install on to.
m
l
January 28, 2013 3:47:22 PM

Thanks, Saga Lout. XP is great and did offer, and I took the offer to install XP on one unpartitioned space but it turned out that both my hard drive and my RAM were critically deteriorated and I had to buy a new hard drive and new RAM. Over a week lost in trying to troubleshoot!
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2013 5:22:13 PM

That would account for it. The shortcut will save you the effort of navigating manually every time.
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:34:07 PM

I always put a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch toolbar. That way I don't even have to navigate to the desktop. Make a shortcut on desktop and insert "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe". Then you can drag it down to desktop and delete the desktop folder. Easy peasy.
m
l
January 29, 2013 6:42:04 PM

I meant to say: Then you can drag it down to Quick Launch and delete the desktop folder. Whew.
m
l
January 29, 2013 7:33:56 PM

AlexCris6 said:
I just installed Win XP Pro on brand new hard drive. There was another hard drive which contained My Documents folder. Windows installed on F: drive and the C: drive is now NOT the operating system but only contains data files. WTF? I thought the C: drive was always the operating system. Everything runs fine except the computer is upside down. Have to scroll down to the F: drive to see Documents and Settings, for example. Can someone help? Is there an easy way to change the drive letters, making the C: drive the operating system as it's supposed to be?

The system drive will only be C: if the OS is installed on the first primary partition on the first physical hard drive in the PC.
m
l
!