Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp installed as F: drive

Last response: in Windows XP
January 24, 2013 4:28:39 PM

I just installed Win XP Pro on brand new hard drive. There was another hard drive which contained My Documents folder. Windows installed on F: drive and the C: drive is now NOT the operating system but only contains data files. WTF? I thought the C: drive was always the operating system. Everything runs fine except the computer is upside down. Have to scroll down to the F: drive to see Documents and Settings, for example. Can someone help? Is there an easy way to change the drive letters, making the C: drive the operating system as it's supposed to be?
January 24, 2013 5:24:17 PM

It could be done but it's very risky. Far easier is to put a shortcut to the Documents folder on to the Desktop. In fairness to XP, it will have offered options at to which partition to format and install on to.
January 28, 2013 3:47:22 PM

Thanks, Saga Lout. XP is great and did offer, and I took the offer to install XP on one unpartitioned space but it turned out that both my hard drive and my RAM were critically deteriorated and I had to buy a new hard drive and new RAM. Over a week lost in trying to troubleshoot!
Related resources
January 28, 2013 5:22:13 PM

That would account for it. The shortcut will save you the effort of navigating manually every time.
January 29, 2013 6:34:07 PM

I always put a Windows Explorer icon in my Quick Launch toolbar. That way I don't even have to navigate to the desktop. Make a shortcut on desktop and insert "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe". Then you can drag it down to desktop and delete the desktop folder. Easy peasy.
January 29, 2013 6:42:04 PM

I meant to say: Then you can drag it down to Quick Launch and delete the desktop folder. Whew.
January 29, 2013 7:33:56 PM

AlexCris6 said:
I just installed Win XP Pro on brand new hard drive. There was another hard drive which contained My Documents folder. Windows installed on F: drive and the C: drive is now NOT the operating system but only contains data files. WTF? I thought the C: drive was always the operating system. Everything runs fine except the computer is upside down. Have to scroll down to the F: drive to see Documents and Settings, for example. Can someone help? Is there an easy way to change the drive letters, making the C: drive the operating system as it's supposed to be?

The system drive will only be C: if the OS is installed on the first primary partition on the first physical hard drive in the PC.
!