Nothing recognizes SSD after 3-4 months use.

udontcme

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello everyone! After about 4 months of use on my new computer my SSD has failed. It was my boot drive. It had worked perfectly fine apart from a few BSOD's that may or may not have been caused by it. It is a 120gb OCZ Agility 3 drive. There was a power surge in my house (I have a surge protector, so I don't think that caused it.) which shut down my computer. After it rebooting, the BIOS didn't recognize the drive. I'm going a little insane right now, because well, I live off of my computer. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

-Cullen

Solution
Download OCZ's utility for the SSD to see if it recognizes it.
Double check the the BIOS is still set the way you had it before outage.

But if SSD is NOT recognized in BIOS, I think you will find that it bought the farm, time to start thinking RMA.

You NEED an UPS, not one of thoes surge protectors.
Surge protector ONLY prevents HIGH level spikes from feeding into system - No protection for Low level spikes, and Does NOT allow an orderly shut down in the event of a power loss. And it does NOTHING for low Voltage.

NOTE - A power loss can kill a SSD (or a HDD), if in the middle of writing. With the Power loss, there is no controll and if the drive writes over the MBR, or another critical sector, may be hard to recover.

udontcme

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I will try that, I have tried clearing the CMOS, but with no avail. Let me try that.

EDIT No luck. I would also like to point out that the green status led on the back of the drive is on. If that means anything.

Download OCZ's utility for the SSD to see if it recognizes it.
Double check the the BIOS is still set the way you had it before outage.

But if SSD is NOT recognized in BIOS, I think you will find that it bought the farm, time to start thinking RMA.

You NEED an UPS, not one of thoes surge protectors.
Surge protector ONLY prevents HIGH level spikes from feeding into system - No protection for Low level spikes, and Does NOT allow an orderly shut down in the event of a power loss. And it does NOTHING for low Voltage.

NOTE - A power loss can kill a SSD (or a HDD), if in the middle of writing. With the Power loss, there is no controll and if the drive writes over the MBR, or another critical sector, may be hard to recover.

Solution

udontcme

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Thank you. Question though. With OCZ's utility, do I try that on a different computer, or what? Sorry for noobish-ness. And, yes I have been wanting to get a UPS, but just haven't had the funding. Hah. I didn't know that about surge protectors, that is very, very good to know, thank you.