Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L XP loading problems

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hello,
Setup: Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L,( V1.4, Bios F9, new board) Kingston DDR 3(133, 2G installed) , Zotac N9600, Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo, 750W PS, Western Digital 500G SATA in SATA 0), Plextor IDE DVD.Big ol' Blue Orb cooler.
Board boots fine. Recognizes all the bits and pieces. XP starts to load, gets through the files then after "Windows is Starting", screen goes black and a BSOD appears with the words of doom:
Stop. Blah blah blah, PCI Sys F748E0BF Base At F7487000, along with a long string of other numbers.
Loading the "Optomized Defauts" or "Fail Safe" in Set Up does not fix the issue.
I sent my woes to Gigabyte, but have not yet heard back from them.
Bios issue ? Brand new board ( NEW EGG), so its unlikely I'm going to fiddle with flashing anything. :fou:
Any suggestions, thoughts, "Aw bummers" and so on ?

Thanks
Ms A.A.
Oregon
USA

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello,
Brand new everything. First time install, XP right out of the shrink wrap.

Thanks
Ms A.A.

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello
As I mentioned in the initial posting, []Windows XP never loads[/]: It loads the "files", then after it says "Windows is Starting", I get a BSOD and the "Stop" messages.
Different PCI express graphics card: same results.

Thank you
Ms A.A.

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello,
As I mentioned in my initial post, this is a new install, and I tried a different Graphics card, same results.
Windows XP loads the "startup files", then the message "starting Windows", then the BSOD with the "STOP" messages that I posted.

Thank You
Ms A.A.

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello,
Did that. Kingston DDR 3, 1333, 2g, ( as I noted in my initial post), One at a time, then two then three.
Same problem.
I'm about to RMA the mo bo back to New Egg, but wanted to get some ideas from folks who did a lot of this computer building stuff.

Thank you

Ms A.A.

It sounds to me that you have to load the storage drivers, which can be found on gigabytes website, but with windows XP you will need a floppy drive to load them unless you slipstream them into the CD.

Also make sure in the BIOS the SATA controller mode is IDE not AHCI or RAID.

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello,
Thank you so much for your suggestions ! Since this is a brand new MO BO, I'm probably not going to do anything except RMA it back to NEW EGG, for a replacement.
If Windows loaded, that would be one thing, but this problem won't ever let windows XP load.
I'll check the SATA settings..... but I suspect its a defective MO BO. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Thank you

Ms A.A.

I dont think it is a defective motherboard, more has to do with the newer chipset and issues supporting Windows XP. I bet Windows Vista and 7 would install just fine, if you have a copy of one of those to try out you can eliminate the motherboard being the problem, and narrow it down to the 10 year old operating system (XP).

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello,
OoOoOo, great idea ! Thanks....yours is the best idea so far. I'm guessing you read my posting in its entirely. Thank you.
I'll try it on W7, and see what happens.......
I'll post to this forum if that fixes it.

Than YOU !!

Ms A.A.
Oregon

As mentioned in your original post you say 2 GB ram (can be 2 1 GB modules) and further to that the first post is not clear either on that this is a fresh windows install! Therefor you are getting these STUPID questions.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
I've had this exact same problem with a P45-UD3P board. It's a lack of compatible drivers on the XP install disc. I'm guessing your disc doesn't have any of the service packs, right? You need to get an XP disc that already has SP3 on it. If you can't find one, you can make one. Just google "slipstream XP SP3".

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello,
I'm really sorry, I guess I wasn't quite as clear as I should have been.
Its a fresh install, new everything ,( MO BO, CPU, Graphics, PS, RAM, yadda yadda): I had 1 Kingston 2gb module installed, and I never , ever , thought about SP 3.
The OS is XP Pro, OEM, brand new, but I have NO idea about the status of SP 3. I'll check into that and see how I might get it added ( slipstream, how cute a word) !.
My initial feeling was: Hey, I think the MB is okay, so maybe its a Bios issue, but after reading a lot, I am leaning twoards the XP missing SP 3 idea !
Thank you !!
I'll report back !

Thanks !

Ms A.A.
Oregon

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello, I checked and supposedly this OEM Copy of XP does have SP 3. That doesn't mean XP does not have issues with this MO BO, just that SP 3 is there.
Next, I'm going to try loading W7, and see what happens. At the moment, I don't have a new copy of Vista, but I can buy one if necessary.
I thought you might like to hear the latest !
Thank you

Ms A.A.
Oregon

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello, I did determine that the copy of XP Pro that I am trying to load DOES have SP 3 ( supposedly) embedded. Thats not to say the MO BO does not still have issues with XP, even with SP 3.
Next, I'm going to try W7 and see if THAT will load. If so, I think I can pretty well eliminate the MO BO as the problem.
If W7 will not load, I'm going to RMA the board back to NewEgg. !
Thought you might like to know

Thank You
Ms A.A
Oregon

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

When you say "OEM" do you mean it's for a Dell, HP, Gateway, etc or do you mean it's a "genuine" windows xp disc? You could always torrent a copy of XP w/sp3 and install the 30 day trial just to test the os.

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

Hello, The XP disk is a genuine MS disk, OEM ( not retail). It is supposed to have SP 3 installed.
My next strategy was to try to load W7. Its loading as we speak, so I'm guessing the problem is somehow related to XP (even with SP 3).
Weird. Well, maybe not so weird after all.
I'll let you know if the complete install of W7 goes well. Or if it dies.

Update a few minutes later: W7 installed just fine. I probably should post something about this.
On this board, XP W/ SP 3 won't load, but W7 will. Not going to try Vista, thank you very much.

Thank You
Ms A.A.
Oregon

Ashley40

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hello, RE: Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L, V 1.4, Bios F9.
Setup: (1) 2g Kingston KVR133D3N9/2g,
(1) Western Digital 500G SATA
(1) Zotak N9600 Graphics Adaptor
(1) Intel Core 2 Duo Procesor, E8400
(1) 750W Power Supply
(1) Windows ( genuine MS) XP Pro W/ SP 3

Problem: XP Pro would not load. Stop messages popped up after "files are loaded".

What I did: Tried different Graphics adaptor No Help
Tried different combinations of 2 g RAM Sticks. No help
Took long nap. No help
Tried Windows 7 ( a "branded version, no less) and it loaded just fine.
Consumed (1) small adult beverage. ( Lots of help)

Well, there it is. Total weirdness, but as someone here pointed out, the MO BO ( my brother says I should use that so everyone won't think I'm a bimbo) doesn't like XP with SP 3. Does like W7. And I'm not going to try Vista, thank you very much.

Thanks to everyone !!! You rock ! Thanks to whoever it was that suggested it wasn't a MO BO problem, but an XP issue ! You rock too !

Thanks

Ms A.A.
Oregon