Which one for intel and which one for amd

djrulz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
i will chose from core i5 2500k,i7 2600k or the new bulldozer amd one as the proccessor based on budget constrains.
n my total budget is arnd 50k(indian rupees) that is around $1200.
suggest an affordable motherboard which will serve my purpos.after identifying it i will look fwd to the graphics card section.
so fit the bill accrdngly
thnx in advance

chadclifton

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I have the ASUS P8P67 Pro and the i7 2600K and I couldnt be happier with the performance. I did have a slight issues with RAM speed, but after a BIOS update and manual change of speed within the new BIOS it has been fine!

Zenthar

Distinguished
We still know very little about the bulldozer CPU so hard to recommend anything in that direction. As for current AMD solutions, they are unfortunately mostly seen as a way to cut costs; you can get very decent gaming performance and save money, but you trade-off raw CPU power in many CPU-intensive situations like multimedia processing.

That said, you can get an i5-2500K (I recommend the i5-2500K over the i7-2600K, you loose the Hyperthreading and 100Mhz, but you save 100$ too), an Asus P8P67 Pro and 2x4GB of RAM for around 500$USD.

Many of the other components are a question of tastes/needs. What games will you be playing, at what resolution, you plan on using crossfire/SLI. Basically all the questions in the template (they should really make the post a sticky ...).

djrulz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
yup i hav decided on asus p8p67 pro and 8 gb ram.tell me one thing.does the brand of the ram determines anythin.for example if along with this cpu n mobo combination i take corsair ram will it make a diff???once this is finalized i need to knw a bit mor abt graphics card that will go along with this combo

djrulz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
okss.now one more thing.is there any gigabyte or any other board which works betr with the i5 2500k than the asus one.i wanna be absolutely sure so that i get the best deal

Zenthar

Distinguished
Price/performance wise, the ASRock Extreme4 might actually be better for it's nearly 40$ cheaper and has many features. If you want to look the Gigabytes way, I think the contender for the P8P67 Pro is the P67A-UD4, but Anandtech gave a favorable incline to the Asus.

Zenthar

Distinguished
To quote Anandtech:
However, the second question is: ‘what about the comparison to the ASRock P67 Extreme4’? The ASRock board has power/reset buttons on the board, a Debug LED, that USB 3.0 bracket which will hold an SSD (worth in my option about $15), and is almost $40 cheaper. The ASUS board is the slightly better performing, overclocking is easier on the ASUS, the ASUS has a longer warranty, the UEFI is slightly better on the ASUS, the ASUS uses Intel Ethernet rather than Realtek, but the ASRock will take socket 775 coolers. It is up to you to judge, but in my opinion, I would take the Extreme4, pocket the $40 difference, and invest it in something else for a PC build.
If money was tight, I wouldn't hesitate to take the ASRock, but if I could afford 40$ more for the Asus, I wouldn't feel it's wasted money either. Then again, If you don't OC or play in advanced BIOS/EUFI options, it might not change a thing for you.

djrulz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
hey zenthar is oc necessary or wen is it really reqd.if its not reqd then i might choose the asrock one as its cheaper.i have the budget.so shld i go for asus or spend it smwhr els after saving on it by buying asrock????

Zenthar

Distinguished
OC is never necessary, but Sandy Bridge OCs so well it would be a shame no to do so. However, both would give you decent OC anyway, it's just that Asus might make it easier or allow you to push it further.

Unless there is something specific you want the Asus for (like warranty or Bluetooth), then the ASRock will be just fine.

Zenthar

Distinguished
No it does, sorry, I'm posting to 2 similar threads and I tend to forgot what I said where. ASRock has 1 year warranty vs 3 for Asus.

Caveats - see chart. If I were to wait for the Bulldozer then I'd wait for the X68 and skip over the P55/P67 consumer mainstream builds. The X68 build will probably blow your budget.

Q - What resolution(s)? How many monitors?
Q - Is SLI or CF in the future?

Build_Chart_Q1-2011-1.jpg

djrulz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
thnx jaquith.1 monitor.yes sli or cf in future.i can wait till bulldozers no problm.by thn the other prices will fall too if i dcd to fall bck on them.prepare your choice config with the budget.

^Well apparently most high-end people are indeed waiting for at least the X68. I hobby build extreme rigs, and nobody wants the P67 as an 'Extreme Machine.' Therefore, it has been over a month since I've been asked to build.

I built only a few AMDs, a couple P55's, and a crap load of 1366 machines. None of them want the P67 especially with the PCIe x8/x8 saturating large format resolutions. Keep in mind I take no joy slapping together components, and I turn down those builds.

Ivy Bridge and Haswell {22nm} cores are a 2012 thing.

I another thread we're discussing mainly the CONS of the X68: SATA3 but 'SATA4' is needed, PCIe 2.0 40 lanes but PCIe 3.0 or 80 lanes need, etc. Before the chipsets leap frogged the available technology but now the tech {SSD, GPUs} are leap frogging the chipsets. I'm hoping the X68 gets paired with something similar to the NF200 {x16/x16/x16/x16} otherwise 3/4-WAY is screwed on larger displays even with the X68.

GTX 5XX on large screens requires >x8 PCIe, and SSDs {e.g. RevoDrives} are exceeding SATA3's 600 MB/s per device limits. This is a REAL PROBLEM.

The CPUs are the bottlenecks, it's the architecture and subsequent bandwidth.

djrulz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
hey jaquith its getn too technical.i cant undrstnd i thing.i will get my system done in maybe a few weeks tym.need to knw the best combination.till now the one in the picklist are the 2 asus siblings in p8p67 pro and sabertooth p67.tell me if i shld chang and if yes then y

Let me simplify, the MOBOs are getting too slow for the 'stuff' added to it.

Either the ASUS P8P67 PRO or ASUS Sabertooth are good, the Sabertooth lacks Bluetooth but has a 5 year warranty, the Pro is $30 less has Bluetooth but has a 3 year warranty. For the most part I have been recommending the ASUS P8P67 PRO.

Side-by-Side - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%2050001315%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280|13-131-693^13-131-693-TS,13-131-695^13-131-695-TS,13-131-682^13-131-682-TS,13-131-692^13-131-692-TS