Sign in with
Your question

What's a good temp and fan speed for 5850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2010 6:44:23 PM

I just installed my Radeon 5850 and I am VERY impressed with how things look. But I was curious about 2 things. In the Catalyst Control Center there's a section called ATI Overdrive. It provides some very nice information. I noticed when I'm idleing (on my Windows desktop) the temp sits around 54 C and fan speed is at 24%. When I'm in WoW or The Sims or Dragon Age the temp goes to about 87-88 C and fan speed around 60%. Are these settings good or should I manually set the fan at a certain setting? Just curious because honestly I've never really kept up with video card temperatures before. Thank you.
April 8, 2010 7:06:35 PM

I keep my fan at 35% or 40% depending on the amount I can tolerate that day

at 35% I get under 40C idle and around 75C load
at 40% I get around a few less idle and around 70C load

I use a Silverstone RV02 case which is quite big and my air flow is decent

My comp doesn't hang or anything, so I'm ok with the temp

but ur 87-88 is kinda pushing it, it hot for my taste

Anything over 40% fan speed on this card is just too loud for me

Might want to check your airflow btw, and personally I don't recommend using
"Auto" for fan speed, at idle it's too low and too hot
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:23:14 PM

wildkitten said:
I just installed my Radeon 5850 and I am VERY impressed with how things look. But I was curious about 2 things. In the Catalyst Control Center there's a section called ATI Overdrive. It provides some very nice information. I noticed when I'm idleing (on my Windows desktop) the temp sits around 54 C and fan speed is at 24%. When I'm in WoW or The Sims or Dragon Age the temp goes to about 87-88 C and fan speed around 60%. Are these settings good or should I manually set the fan at a certain setting? Just curious because honestly I've never really kept up with video card temperatures before. Thank you.

Hmm, Your temps on the GPU is 54C at idle? Do you have good airflow in your case?
Reason why I say this is because I system has good airflow and my temps on my 5850 is at idle 32C and full load with fan is on 60% is 52C. Please make sure there is some air flow for the GPU. You might want to order a VGA Cooling device.
Yes I am talking about Cooling Fans for the Video card and have one of slot guards remove for airflow to come thru the computer.
If you like is a sample of my system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIOUzM_PqWc sorry for the video quality.
But I think that is too hot to be running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUa1UASQHk0
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2010 7:32:29 PM

Thats a little warm. It's probably not damagingly warm, but still warmer than I would like. What case are you using? You may not be getting proper airflow through your case and have a higher case temp which could be causing the high temp. What happens to your temps if you take the side of the case off?
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:35:01 PM

They get a bit warm. If you aren't overclocking I wouldn't worry about messing with the fan speed. If a card has issues running on factory settings, it should be RMA'ed.
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:41:56 PM

jay2tall said:
They get a bit warm. If you aren't overclocking I wouldn't worry about messing with the fan speed. If a card has issues running on factory settings, it should be RMA'ed.

I can understand warm but 87-88c?

My card doesnt even break 70c (overvolted/overclocked 19%) when stressed @ 100% load using Kombustor/furmark so the OP must have either bad card/horrible ambient temps/airflow ..

m
l
April 8, 2010 7:43:54 PM

jay2tall said:

Well I was thinking the same thing before and I have my overclock to Core GPU 775 and Memory is 1115
and still I am under 32c or 30c idle and full 48c to 53c with fan speed on 50% or 60%

I think he/she doesn't have good airflow in the case. but we can't be sure yet
But your idea is such a good one to RMA the card. I don't trust it for being that hot
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:46:31 PM

exactly my thinking OvrClkr. Thats almost to GTX480 temp levels- thats NOT what 5850's are supposed to do :-p
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:59:47 PM

Well before the OP even thinks about an RMA we have to see what his case looks like, cause nothing worse than sending in a card when it is working perfectly fine.

m
l
April 8, 2010 8:00:40 PM

OvrClkr said:
Well befiore the OP even thinks about an RMA we have to see what his case looks like, cause nothing worse than sending in a card when it is working perfectly fine.

So let have him/her take a photo of his case to show us and the inside of it was well to see if he has done a good good with the cable management.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:03:53 PM

It might be enough to just know what the case IS.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:04:40 PM

Technically those temps are within spec, and unless the card is failing they won't, or usually, won't allow you to RMA it. I'd be curious as to what your ambient temps are. Do you have a small case or is it cluttered? Do you have good airflow?

You can always run something like OCCT and use the GPU test to see if it returns errors or generates artifacts. It would give you a good test to whether there is anything electronically wrong with your card.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:07:25 PM

Keiki646 said:
So let have him/her take a photo of his case to show us and the inside of it was well to see if he has done a good good with the cable management.

Yea, it helps a bunch cause I remember a user here on Toms complaining about his system when in fact this is what he had done :

I had to copy that image because it was unbelieveable :lol: 
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:17:13 PM

OvrClkr said:
Yea, it helps a bunch cause I remember a user here on Toms complaining about his system when in fact this is what he had done :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/trisli.jpg

I had to copy that image because it was unbelieveable :lol: 

that is overkill funny, That that cable management is screeww upppp :na: 

You will never see that done to my RIG. LOL
this is my RIG inside

here are my temps and readings
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:19:17 PM

Umm.... WOW lol. Thats funny!
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:04:15 PM

Keiki646 said:
that is overkill funny, That that cable management is screeww upppp :na: 

You will never see that done to my RIG. LOL
this is my RIG inside
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs515.snc3/27062_393973826296_581451296_4338749_505551_n.jpg

here are my temps and readings
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs442.snc3/25381_395269021296_581451296_4380660_8165716_n.jpg

What are your idle and load temps @ 4Ghz? Sorry cannot zoom your pic here at work :( 
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:17:27 PM

OvrClkr said:
What are your idle and load temps @ 4Ghz? Sorry cannot zoom your pic here at work :( 

28, 22, 26, 24 idle

51, 44,49, 47 full load

also I have it by the windows so the air helps it alot
and I've lapped my CPU as well
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:27:19 PM

My case is the Thermaltake VA8000BWS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... All my excess cables are tied up above where the motherboard is, nothing in the way of the fans at all. I do have 2 hard drives that sit behind the front fan in the hard drive bays, and i leave an empty bay between them allowing airflow. My sound card is about 2 inches below the bottom of the video card, there's no cables between them or anything. So i really don't see anything block airflow. I do have 2 sata cables but those are more to the side running to the hard drives, and the power cables run down more along side the door of the case then the middle where it would potentially block airflow. Also, I don't seem to have anything wrong with the video card, it performs very well.
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:32:24 PM

Keiki646 said:
28, 22, 26, 24 idle

51, 44,49, 47 full load

also I have it by the windows so the air helps it alot
and I've lapped my CPU as well

sweet =)

I was getting 27/43 @ 3.9Ghz but that was in January, now its gone up to 33/49 since my ambient went up almost 10 degrees =(
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:35:05 PM

Hmm- your airflow should be fine then... I wonder if maybe your Heatsink/fan were not mounted quite right. Might be worth pulling it off and replacing the thermal pase and making sure its set properly.
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:36:13 PM

flyinfinni said:
Hmm- your airflow should be fine then... I wonder if maybe your Heatsink/fan were not mounted quite right. Might be worth pulling it off and replacing the thermal pase and making sure its set properly.

Yes that would be the best thing to do and make sure you the good stuff.
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:37:39 PM

OvrClkr said:
sweet =)

I was getting 27/43 @ 3.9Ghz but that was in January, now its gone up to 33/49 since my ambient went up almost 10 degrees =(

Same here it will go up and when the temps do go up for the spring and summer times, I am going to clock it back down to 3675.03Ghz. It would be the smart thing to do specially if the temps are going to be in the 70 and 80's. But I am thinking about doing a mod to the H50 soon.
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:58:13 PM

I believe I may have confused some numbers earlier. I have been playing WoW now for a good 30 minutes, the temp has on occasion hit 80C but only stays there for a few seconds before going to 79 or 78, the fan speed hasn't gone over 33% and this with the activity sometimes getting around80-83%.
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:59:33 PM

wildkitten said:
I believe I may have confused some numbers earlier. I have been playing WoW now for a good 30 minutes, the temp has on occasion hit 80C but only stays there for a few seconds before going to 79 or 78, the fan speed hasn't gone over 33% and this with the activity sometimes getting around80-83%.

Just Manually control the fan speed yourself.
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:02:57 PM

Yeah- crankthe fan up a bit and you should be fine. mine normally run at ~40% (though I've got 5750s).
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:08:53 PM

I think he's better leaving it on auto or create his own fan ramp profile. If he puts it on manual , and leaves it at 40 as suggested, hes going to overheat. He mentioned seeing his fan at 60% when approaching 80. It only makes sense to me, he's going to need 60% at times.
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:15:40 PM

notty22 said:
I think he's better leaving it on auto or create his own fan ramp profile. If he puts it on manual , and leaves it at 40 as suggested, hes going to overheat. He mentioned seeing his fan at 60% when approaching 80. It only makes sense to me, he's going to need 60% at times.

That never happen to me if you read my last few replies back.
I think that he might want to look into making sure the heatsink is mounted on correctly and changing The Thermal Grease for it as we already told him. That is still too warm and my 5850 doesn't even break a sweat (Never goes over 60C)
now do you overheat by turning the fan up on manual mode??? Please explain that to me.
Wondering how did you come up with this?

When I am on idle i am at 32c with 25% fan speed and when I am at 60% while playing (FULL) I am only about 49C to 52C

If you don't mind me asking what Brand of the 5850 do you have (Sapphire, MSI, EVGA, etc)
Reason why I am asking is because, now I am reading reports that some of cards have been reporting to see the temps at 80c or higher and then they will fail after 3 weeks from the recording of the temps
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:17:21 PM

How do I make a fan ramp profile? I'm also not sure I didn't confuse Activity with Temperature when it came to that 87-88 number. I also may have been wrong about the 60% fan speed. When I came back home and was playing WoW for around 30 minutes the temp hit 80 3 or 4 times, but went to 79 or even 78 2 or 3 seconds later with the fan never going over 33%. Since I set the fan Auto to 40% I haven't goneover 73C.
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:19:53 PM

Notty- I didn't say HE should run 40%, I just said my 5750's run at 40, and that he should crank it to keep his cooler. Also- in the OP's last post, it says his fans are staying at around 33%, so even 40% might make a difference.

wildkitten- that sounds a bit better:-) 73 is legit, especially if the ambient temp is a little warm.
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:23:05 PM

Keiki646 said:
That never happen to me if you read my last few replies back.
I think that he might want to look into making sure the heatsink is mounted on correctly and changing The Thermal Grease for it as we already told him. That is still too warm and my 5850 doesn't even break a sweat (Never goes over 60C)
now do you overheat by turning the fan up on manual mode??? Please explain that to me.
Wondering how did you come up with this?

When I am on idle i am at 32c with 25% fan speed and when I am at 60% while playing (FULL) I am only about 49C to 52C

If you don't mind me asking what Brand of the 5850 do you have (Sapphire, MSI, EVGA, etc)
Reason why I am asking is because, now I am reading reports that some of cards have been reporting to see the temps at 80c or higher and then they will fail after 3 weeks from the recording of the temps

It's an XFX HD 585X ZAFC

m
l
April 8, 2010 10:30:54 PM

wildkitten said:
It's an XFX HD 585X ZAFC

To ensure you with tthe best cooling, I think you shoudl buy soem style or type of PCI VGA Cooling
something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119097
I have this on the back of my card and I have another one in front of my card as you can see in the last few replies.
But I will crossfire soon
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:35:05 PM

Keiki646 said:
To ensure you with tthe best cooling, I think you shoudl buy soem style or type of PCI VGA Cooling
something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119097
I have this on the back of my card and I have another one in front of my card as you can see in the last few replies.
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs515.snc3/27062_393973826296_581451296_4338749_505551_n.jpg

Thank you all for your help. In the picture, where your video card fan is, that is where my sound card is. Right below that I have the bracket for the USB ports and esata port and no more brackets below that. Is it ok to have the fan closer to the video card or will crowding it create more heat and just cancel the extra cooling out?

m
l
April 8, 2010 10:40:50 PM

When I had a HOT card, adding the extra PCI slot fans- it actually did not affect my temps at all. It really depends on how your airflow is. If there is a dead spot, it will help, but if your airflow is already moving well, it may not make a difference.
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:42:50 PM

wildkitten said:
Thank you all for your help. In the picture, where your video card fan is, that is where my sound card is. Right below that I have the bracket for the USB ports and esata port and no more brackets below that. Is it ok to have the fan closer to the video card or will crowding it create more heat and just cancel the extra cooling out?

doesn't matter but since you have a full tower case you show even have space for some type of cooling device to even put in the second PCI x 16 slot. it work either way close or far away

As you can see I have two PCI VGA coolers
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:43:29 PM

flyinfinni said:
When I had a HOT card, adding the extra PCI slot fans- it actually did not affect my temps at all. It really depends on how your airflow is. If there is a dead spot, it will help, but if your airflow is already moving well, it may not make a difference.

True
m
l
April 8, 2010 10:54:31 PM

To set a more aggressive fan curve your going to have to do some reading.
Its like auto, but more aggressive, (thats what I would set) or you could set it to make things quieter if you were happy with your temps and felt your fan ran to much.
Guru 3d , does a review of msi afterburner.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-afterburner-review/3

Heres a manual for the program, page 20, but you should read all.
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/images/Afterburner...
m
l
April 8, 2010 11:04:29 PM

The program is pretty strait-forward, if you have tinkered with Precision/Riva then MSI is a cake.

I love that fan profile, I no longer have to manually set anything, it does everything for you on-the-fly.
m
l
April 8, 2010 11:11:48 PM

I've never used Riva or any program like it. I'm assuming I can use that MSI program with an XFX Radeon card?
m
l
April 8, 2010 11:32:16 PM

Yes- you can use it with any brand of card I believe. (I believe there is even an Nvidia version)
m
l
April 8, 2010 11:39:28 PM

wildkitten said:
I've never used Riva or any program like it. I'm assuming I can use that MSI program with an XFX Radeon card?

You can use it with any card as long as you do not have a "dinosaur" =)

This forum has basically all the answers to most questions,

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I'm not sure if you will be able to use the voltage option but as far as the fan goes you should have no problem.

Just download/install and open =)

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm#
m
l
!