CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
This is a multi/weird question so bare with me here.

I (for some reason) want to remove the guts of my old ps2 and fill it up with computer components.
One problem i have is, what's the width and breadth of the ps2? and what is the best fit board:

Nano-itx
mini-itx
micro-itx

(i would like the option to have the HDD inside the system, mounted at the "expansion bay" + an optical drive but sacrifices can be made. only integrated GPU for obvious reasons.)

:) thanks

EDIT* fat PS2

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Sounds like a cool idea. I even heard about one guy who took the guts of a Xbox 360 and put it in a PC case along with a PC motherboard and components to make a hybrid Xbox 360/PC.

6.75 * 11.5 * 2.75 are the external dimensions of the PS2 I have. It's a "fat" model too so those figures should be correct for you. As to the internal space usable for fitting a motherboard, I don't know what those would be. You'd have to open your PS2 up to find those figures. I don't know alot about the dimension of those particular boards offhand, a quick search should turn those up.

Also, the board mounting holes in the PS2 aren't likely to match up with what ever motherboard you buy, so you'll probably have a do some modding of the case so it will mount the motherboard correctly.

A mini ITX board will just squeeze in there.

If you go this route and do not need lots of computing power, an Atom OR ION(if you want a bit more video power)board is the best bet. Low power and quiet, maybe even fanless with enough heatsink.

Since the PS2 has front usb ports you have something useful already.

For power using something like a Picto-psu would be best as the main power brick will external leaving you a bit of room inside. A laptop DVD drive should also fit in with careful planning.

Good luck, post lots of pics.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Just out of curiosity, what's the chance of re using the PS2's existing optical drive? Never torn one down and have no idea how proprietary their interfaces are.

CsG_kieran_2

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
most of the internals of the ps2 are "melted" together and for some reason the optical drive is one of them.

The usb ports on the front are 1.1 so are pretty much crap, the s400 firewire on the other hand looks real neat :)

Although i have taken a look inside, i will not be doing this for a while as i need to get payed first :) look out for another post guys. Tnx