chingster

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Hi everyone, I've been referring back to tom's for many years now whenever I needed computer help, but I've come across an inquiry that I couldn't quite find within the forums.

I'll start by giving a quick run down of my PC which I built myself just this past February:

CPU - i7 860 (left untouched at stock speeds)
Mobo - ASUS P7P55D-e PRO
Memory - G. Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1600mhz (7-8-7)
GPU - XFX 5870
Heatsink/Cooler - Corsair H50
PSU - Corsair HX850
Case - HAF932 (All stock fans are still in place minus the rear fan which I replaced with a more efficient Scythe S-Flex for the H50)

For storage I have an Intel X25-M (80gb) partitioned for my OS and a 1TB caviar black for all other storage (like games and media). If I ever game it's usually Team Fortress 2 and I play on max settings with 4x AA @ 1900x1200 resolution.

First I had a couple of questions regarding PC temps; my cpu temps at idle are b/w 33-36 Celsius and increase to about ~50 Celsius under load usually when playing a game like Team Fortress 2.
For my 5870 gpu, it idles at about 50 C and increases anywhere from 75-90 C depending on the game I play. I'm not entirely sure what the rpm on the gpu fan is, but I set the ATI catalyst control fan speed to 40% (basically a balance between what I thought was adequate cooling and suitable fan noise).

Do these temperatures seem normal? I have my H50 fan attached to the radiator running at 800rpm. (I live in Toronto, so it's summer here and the ambient temp in my room can't be more than 15 degrees)

As a side question, does the temperature of the gpu significantly affect pc performance? A big thing for me is alt-tabbing in and out of game, so if I were to increase fan speed to cool down the card would this mitigate any waiting (when alt-tabbing or 'hanging' with many applications open)/increase gaming performance (in terms of fps)?

Another thing I noticed since I built this PC was the load times in a game like TF2. I have everything set to max with 4x AA and it seems like I'm always one of the last people to enter the game (I am hard-wired to my modem). I tried putting all settings to medium even and the load times arent much better.

Is there something I can do to optimize my cpu for overall PC performance? I have been reading about the Turbo Boost and Hyper Threading available on my 860, but was unsure of how to go about increasing cpu clock speeds and if that has anything to do with playing around with voltages. (or if it is even necessary, like would I really notice a difference when gaming or even just browsing the web?)

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help. I spent months researching parts, reading forums and learning how to build my PC. But now I'm trying to make sure everything is running at it's best and maybe there is something I have not done that will make more PC more efficient.

Thanks again for your time,

Justin

You don't need ReadyBoost (mindless concept as per me) with 4 gigs of RAM.. HT is also useless in a gaming sense.. Your PC temps appear to be fine.. The fact that you are the last to spawn relates to network issues, basically high lag/ping times.. In game settings are not going to help much in this regard..

chingster

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
dipankar, I find when I set the fan to 60%, it gets really loud. Is there a way where I could maybe replace the stock fans with quieter more efficient ones with a higher cfm to produce a similar cooling effect while being less noisy?

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=576&name=VGA-Cooling

As for what to get, I am unsure, you'll have to check out some reviews or ask someone here.