Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Corsair H50

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 7, 2010 3:16:32 AM

Quick question: I purchased a Corsair H50 to use on a temporary basis while I waited for a new MTEC controller for my regular chilled water cooling system and was very impressed with how it preformed vs air cooling when not doing any serious over-clocking (kept my Core i7 965 @3.4ghz at a nice 32c at idle and under 40c while gaming).

Personally I found this impressive any way you look at it (I am fully aware that the results would change drastically with overclocking or older CPUs) and given that the new Radeon HD 5870 idles at 33c and stress temp is much lower than my old 4870 X2s, it occurs to me that the H50 could make a good GPU cooler if the water block was changed. I am running 2 5870's in crossfire but if the H50 worked on one my case has plenty of room to install two H50's, one for each card.

So my question is has anyone tried modifying the Corsair H50 by replacing the cooling head with a GPU water block? Any problems encountered in removing the stock cooling head or in any other areas I should be aware of? If so, was it worth the effort and exactly what graphics card did you use? Anyone with time on their hands feel free to run a heat dissipation calculation on this (lol). Thanks to all.

More about : corsair h50

a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2010 4:00:23 AM

If you are impressed with the H50, my recommendation would to keep it on your CPU & use you current watercooling setup on your GPU (RAM, if current doing so) instead.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2010 5:44:16 AM

Sound advice. Also for me, I clocked my 955BE to 3.8 GHz and I idle at 35C and max at 45C. This is also in Arizona.

Are you using a push-pull fan set up? That can drop your H50 temps by another 2-4C
Related resources
May 7, 2010 7:17:35 AM

tecmo34 said:
If you are impressed with the H50, my recommendation would to keep it on your CPU & use you current watercooling setup on your GPU (RAM, if current doing so) instead.


Actually I probably would keep the H50 for my CPU but I am using a Coolit Freezone Elite which is also a sealed loop system but adds peltiers to chill the water and a controller to allow temperature control etc. While the Coolit could easily handle my 5870s, the unit cost over $300.00 and, like the H50, was not designed with the idea of adding additional blocks its sealed loop. While I did manage to change the block on a Coolit Freezone once to run through the built in NB waterblock on a Gigabyte board, it never was as effective as before I changed the head. Also my 5870's do not really run that hot to begin with and I do not over clock them as they are overkill to begin with (I am considering adding another monitor simply to justify purchasing 2). Bottom line if I am going to experiment on one of the two units I have to pick the $80 H50 over the $350 Coolit Elite.

So once again I really would like to hear from anyone who has tried to change the factory block on an H50 to a graphics card water block, and if so what luck did you have. I would actually also love to hear from some of you geniuses out their who I know read these posts and can likely figure out in your heads based on thermal dissipation of the H50 or whatever whether this idea is even worth my time. Thanks again.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2010 7:31:41 AM

Im curious why you're so set on mounting it to your 5870 if they "dont run that hot to begin with and I do not over clock them as they are overkill to begin with"

Not trying to be argumentative, you just seem set on modifying and possibly destroying the H50 for a component that functions perfectly fine with no dreams of OCing.

Maybe you're like me and you just like to tinker and add stuff out of boredom?
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2010 2:08:00 PM

cmcghee358 said:

Maybe you're like me and you just like to tinker and add stuff out of boredom?

I only paid $15 bucks for my H50, so what the heck ?

May 8, 2010 5:51:27 PM

cmcghee358 said:
Sound advice. Also for me, I clocked my 955BE to 3.8 GHz and I idle at 35C and max at 45C. This is also in Arizona.

Are you using a push-pull fan set up? That can drop your H50 temps by another 2-4C



Thanks for mentioning that. I had read something about the improvement with two 120mms and will try it when I get this done.
May 8, 2010 6:06:58 PM

delluser1 said:
I only paid $15 bucks for my H50, so what the heck ?
http://i42.tinypic.com/10oh95l.jpg



YOU ARE THE MAN! Quick question pulling the head did it appear possible to change only the cooling block and reseal the sealed loop system, add some coolant, and not have an air problem? Thanks
May 8, 2010 6:12:04 PM

cmcghee358 said:
Im curious why you're so set on mounting it to your 5870 if they "dont run that hot to begin with and I do not over clock them as they are overkill to begin with"

Not trying to be argumentative, you just seem set on modifying and possibly destroying the H50 for a component that functions perfectly fine with no dreams of OCing.

Maybe you're like me and you just like to tinker and add stuff out of boredom?


I fully admit that in a well ventilated machine with fans at 60% crossfired 5870's do not require any advanced cooling if not overclocked (which would be sort of a silly endeavor as not many CPUs out there can keep up to begin with). I fully admit that I would be doing this to tinker. I hate the idea of the H50, which I really do like, sitting in its box on a shelf and also think trying to switch it to a GPU cooler would be kind of cool.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 11, 2010 6:54:27 AM

BroHamBone said:
Is your PSU in a HD slot?

No... The PSU is a bottom mounted and you just can't see it in the picture. If you look real close to the picture, you see the cables coming up through what looks like the bottom in the picture. It isn't a full case pic...
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2010 7:35:14 PM

^+1

@ corei7rules,
Sorry, I don't drop down here that much.
I saw no way of being able to change the block, there is a bleeder screw under the shroud.
If you're not going to use it, just post it for sale in the proper forum, they usually fetch around $60-70 shipping included.
May 12, 2010 8:05:10 PM

delluser1 said:
^+1

@ corei7rules,
Sorry, I don't drop down here that much.
I saw no way of being able to change the block, there is a bleeder screw under the shroud.
If you're not going to use it, just post it for sale in the proper forum, they usually fetch around $60-70 shipping included.


THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFO! YOU HAVE SAVED ME A LOT OF TIME WHICH WOULD HAVE ENDED IN FRUSTRATION AND I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP! :wahoo: 
!