PC only detects TV when it's turned off

robz0r

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hello,

I have a problem connecting my PC to my TV. My PC can only detect my TV when it's powered off, but it will not detect it on standby or turned on. When the TV is off the PC detects it correctly and I'm able to set resolutions etc, however the display disappears from the menu when it's turned on.

My PC is running Win7 (64bit) and my graphics card is a Geforce 285GTX that has two DVI-I outputs. I'm using a DVI-I to HDMI adapter (supplied with the card) and a HDMI cable connecting to the TV. My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-26S3000.

I have tried both primary and secondary outputs from my PC, and both HDMI ports on the TV. I know the cable is fine as it works with other devices, likewise I know the HDMI ports are fine on the TV. I have also tried all resolutions available while restarting the pc to test each one.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this who could help me out please? Thank you very much in advance!

atxur

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I was having the same sort of problem where my computer would only detect my tv when the tv was off.

I fixed it by uninstalling the driver for the "Generic PnP" found in "Devices and Printers" (or if you find your tv listed, uninstall the driver for it). After uninstalling I restarted my computer while it was connected to the tv (which was turned on).

So far it seems to be working just as it had before.

I hope this helps.

Jimmy Lau

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

I am having the same problem and the solution given does not work for me.
So did you solve the problem and how?

Thank you