Wanting a SB board, but wowwwww...

swimswithtrout

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Are there any ASUS A8p67 boards that aren't having the "Cold Boot" problem.

9 pages of discussion at ASUS for the A8p67 Pro alone ??

I've used ASUS on my previous 8-10 builds, but this almost sounds like a "Toyota" malfunction.

I'd give Gigabyte a go, but I need IEEE 1394 support and none of the similarly priced boards have it. I'd need to buy a PCI card, which seems pretty ridiculous.

ASRock P67 Extreme 4 has all of the features but it seems there QC is always hit or miss.

Is this just a case of first generation equipment needing a bios flash, or is there something wrong in the chipset ?

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
No, my SB doesn't have the issue. Think that is related to the RAM trouble. There are lots of threads about that on this site. I wouldn't trade my P8P67 Pro for anything right now, having too much fun with it. The EUFI BIOS is a hoot! All you need is to flash the BIOS and buy the right RAM. Either get old non-XMP RAM that runs at 1.5v like I did or buy some SB specific stuff, like the RipJaw X from G.Skill. 8Gb (2x4DB DIMMS) are about $100.

swimswithtrout

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
If RAM's the issue, than why is the "Standard cure" to reset your CMOS whether or not you update the BIOS ??

How do you "Buy the right RAM" when everybody is saying that RAM from the QVL doesn't work.

Most people report they have to bump up their 1.5v RAM to get it to post.

And when did there exist a specific processor/mobo labeled RAM except to make more $$$ (G.Skill X).

I can't wait to get my hands on a i5-2500k or i7 2600k, but for all the advances Intel put into the CPU, it seems the mobo makers are way out of the loop.

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

I wouldn't let some issues stop you. I know there are lots of Sandy Bridge combos in use as I write this that don't have the problem. Tens of thousands have already been sold. A lot of issues are caused by the user error. It is easy to miss a step or simply, not read the manual first. If you don't want a RAM issue, do what I did. Buy 2x4GB DIMMs of Kingston 1333MHZ ValueRam and enjoy! The bonus is you save money doing it. I am getting great speeds and not a single RAM issue. Of course, you have to put them in the right slots too....a lot of folks are using the wrong DIMM slots for two sticks....use A2 and B2 only for two sticks. Set the BIOS up right and download the #1003 update to cover the little bug issues.

The only issue that had me scratching my head for a bit on day one had to do with booting trouble. Seems Windows put the OS on one drive and the boot sector on another. It was my fault....one should never load the OS with more than one drive connected to the computer during the loading process. I have had it working now for over a week and no regrets!

Go for it and enjoy...they are superb! :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS