Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HELP: Dell Inspiron 8100 - Small Splash Screen?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 9:09:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

For whatever reason, my Dell Inspiron 8100's splash went from
full-size (stretching the entire size of the 15" LCD display), down to
a fraction of this size. So it's now basically a small box the center
of the screen upon bootup. All pure DOS screens are reduced to this
same size as well.

However, when I boot into Windows, the screen resolution is absolutely
fine, and is full-screen as it should be.

I've looked all throughout the BIOS to try to find some kind of
setting for this, to no avail.

Any suggestions for getting this back to normal?

Thanks in advance for any help :) 

Kevin G
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 12:05:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Might want to look in BIOS advanced options for a Video expansion
enabled?? Will cause this symptom
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 12:31:42 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On 28 Sep 2004 20:05:01 -0400, ikenfixit@mchsi-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(ikenfixit) wrote:

>Might want to look in BIOS advanced options for a Video expansion
>enabled?? Will cause this symptom


Many thanks for the reply... but unfortunately, the Inspiron BIOS
doesn't have this setting. I looked extensively through every option,
and now just again to make sure I wasn't missing something.... and
still nothing in there for Video Expansion.

Any other possible ideas?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 2:02:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Any other possible suggestions on this one? I contacted the admin at
http://www.bay-wolf.com/ - and he suggested FN-F5 upon boot, but
unfortunately that didn't do anything.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

KG


On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:09:26 -0400, Kevin Gibbons
<kevin@<NOSPAM>kgibbons.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>For whatever reason, my Dell Inspiron 8100's splash went from
>full-size (stretching the entire size of the 15" LCD display), down to
>a fraction of this size. So it's now basically a small box the center
>of the screen upon bootup. All pure DOS screens are reduced to this
>same size as well.
>
>However, when I boot into Windows, the screen resolution is absolutely
>fine, and is full-screen as it should be.
>
>I've looked all throughout the BIOS to try to find some kind of
>setting for this, to no avail.
>
>Any suggestions for getting this back to normal?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help :) 
>
>Kevin G
October 2, 2004 4:09:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

This only happens on my i8200 when the resolution is set below
1600x1200 native resolution. I assume it is an Nvidia driver or vbios
problem. display properties > settings > advanced > geforce 4 440 go
> nview display mode > device settings > swith back and forth on 2
settings then ok fixes it until next time.'


On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:02:55 -0400, Kevin Gibbons
<kevin@<NOSPAM>kgibbons.com> wrote:

>Any other possible suggestions on this one? I contacted the admin at
>http://www.bay-wolf.com/ - and he suggested FN-F5 upon boot, but
>unfortunately that didn't do anything.
>
>Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
>
>KG
>
>
>On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:09:26 -0400, Kevin Gibbons
><kevin@<NOSPAM>kgibbons.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>For whatever reason, my Dell Inspiron 8100's splash went from
>>full-size (stretching the entire size of the 15" LCD display), down to
>>a fraction of this size. So it's now basically a small box the center
>>of the screen upon bootup. All pure DOS screens are reduced to this
>>same size as well.
>>
>>However, when I boot into Windows, the screen resolution is absolutely
>>fine, and is full-screen as it should be.
>>
>>I've looked all throughout the BIOS to try to find some kind of
>>setting for this, to no avail.
>>
>>Any suggestions for getting this back to normal?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help :) 
>>
>>Kevin G
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2009 9:39:22 AM

Easy fix...

Hit F2 repeatedly on start up change the boot order to CD-ROM before HDD. ESC then enter.

Place a WinXP OS disk in cd-rom and power up. Upon boot up hit space bar when it asks you to hit any key. As it goes into the reformat screen hit ALT-F7 and the splash screen will go large again. Power off and restart and it will be back to normal.

Go back into BIOS and change boot order back to HDD first. ESC and enter. Then your done.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 19, 2010 7:05:49 PM

Hi tried the easy fix on a Dell C610 it is actually Fn + F7 will allows the toggle between the two resolutions
April 18, 2010 6:27:11 PM

This WORKS! Thanks! Dell Inspiron 8100 was not displasying Games Etc, Full screen when run.Boot /Splash/XP screen was Small also! This fixed ALL!! Now going to FULL screen.
Thanks Again,a life saver, ;0)
!