Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RS232 - USB Question

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:28:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive solution to connect the
USB output of a digital camera to an older notebook computer that has
only an RS-232 serial port?

Thanks,

Mike





+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+ All things Seinfeld; scripts, trivia, lists,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More about : rs232 usb question

Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:28:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Not at an economic price-- Your computer needs to gain a USB port, which can
be done with the addition of a card, but the cost is probably more than the
computers value- look around for a cheap PC...
"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> wrote in message
news:41b86ead.8410801@news1.sympatico.ca...
> Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive solution to connect the
> USB output of a digital camera to an older notebook computer that has
> only an RS-232 serial port?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
>
>
>
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> + The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
> + (two mirrored sites)
> + http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
> + http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
> + All things Seinfeld; scripts, trivia, lists,
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 6:28:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"turbo" <turbo@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MtYtd.33587$up1.16322@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Not at an economic price-- Your computer needs to gain a USB port, which
> can
> be done with the addition of a card, but the cost is probably more than
> the
> computers value- look around for a cheap PC...

$22 here: http://www.usb-ware.com/cards.htm
Related resources
December 9, 2004 6:28:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Charles Schuler wrote:

>"turbo" <turbo@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote ...
>> Not at an economic price-- Your computer needs to gain a USB port, which
>> can be done with the addition of a card, but the cost is probably more than
>> the computers value- look around for a cheap PC...
>
>$22 here: http://www.usb-ware.com/cards.htm

This is $22 in quantity more than 10. In single units, it is $31.49.


The OP TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:

>Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive solution to connect the
>USB output of a digital camera to an older notebook computer that has
>only an RS-232 serial port?

I am not aware of an RS-232 solution. If you have a PCCard slot, there
are cards that have USB ports, such as those mentioned above.

These may or may not work. I have had problems with an inexpensive USB
port PCCard, where it will work for a short while, but then
"disconnects". I must restart the copy operation to copy the rest of
the files. But I bought a really cheap ($19) card, and I think I got
what I paid for. :) 

Also note that these cards include a power supply that plugs into the
wall to supply the power to the USB port. Thus, they are not suitable
for use when you are using your notebook from battery. However, if you
manage to find a RS-232 to USB solution, it will probably have the
same issue. If you need truly portable USB, I think you need a new
laptop.

Terry
December 9, 2004 6:28:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Terry" <no@email.invalid> skrev i meddelandet
news:vcngr0duoe2pb4h423c7t1usmh163s5dki@4ax.com...
> Charles Schuler wrote:
>
>>"turbo" <turbo@nospam.yahoo.co.uk> wrote ...
>>> Not at an economic price-- Your computer needs to gain a USB port, which
>>> can be done with the addition of a card, but the cost is probably more
>>> than
>>> the computers value- look around for a cheap PC...
>>
>>$22 here: http://www.usb-ware.com/cards.htm
>
> This is $22 in quantity more than 10. In single units, it is $31.49.
>
>
> The OP TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know if there is an inexpensive solution to connect the
>>USB output of a digital camera to an older notebook computer that has
>>only an RS-232 serial port?
>
> I am not aware of an RS-232 solution. If you have a PCCard slot, there
> are cards that have USB ports, such as those mentioned above.
>
> These may or may not work. I have had problems with an inexpensive USB
> port PCCard, where it will work for a short while, but then
> "disconnects". I must restart the copy operation to copy the rest of
> the files. But I bought a really cheap ($19) card, and I think I got
> what I paid for. :) 
>
> Also note that these cards include a power supply that plugs into the
> wall to supply the power to the USB port. Thus, they are not suitable
> for use when you are using your notebook from battery. However, if you
> manage to find a RS-232 to USB solution, it will probably have the
> same issue. If you need truly portable USB, I think you need a new
> laptop.
>
> Terry
>

I use a PCMCIA-card, as a card reader on my laptop. They are cheapest
and there are a lot of differnet combinations. I use Compact Flash card
for my camera but I have seen adaptors for smaller cards aswell. You will
se your card as a "hard drive" in explorer and you can open right away and
drag and drop files (pictures) to and from the card. Very handy and fast.

Pepe
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:47:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 14:53:22 GMT, "Pepe" <pepe@home.nl> wrote:

....
>I use a PCMCIA-card, as a card reader on my laptop. They are cheapest
>and there are a lot of differnet combinations. I use Compact Flash card
>for my camera but I have seen adaptors for smaller cards aswell. You will
>se your card as a "hard drive" in explorer and you can open right away and
>drag and drop files (pictures) to and from the card. Very handy and fast.


Yes, I have one of those and it IS the cheapest way to go but it
worked fine for a while then stopped working. The CF card is good as
I use it in my camera and on my desktop PC fine. But the Notebook
does not see the CF card as a drive any longer. I think I will give up
on the old notebook. I was looking for something cheap while
travelling just to do some simple viewing and storage of my images.

I appreciate all the solutions offered but I think I will purchase a
more modern (used) Notebook computer, probably a PIII with USB port(s)
and use the camera USB-out or my USB card reader or PCMCIA card I
have. It is too frustrating to try and get an old piece of equipment
using new applications.


Thanks to all for the suggestions.


Mike





+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+ All things Seinfeld; scripts, trivia, lists,
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
!