Overclocked cpu + turbo core together?

Tosen

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Well,

The Phenom II x6 with Turbo core overclocks to 3.2 ghz if all 6 cores are active, and if im correct when 2 cores are in use it get up to 3.4 ghz but the main question is:

Base clock of the CPU is 2.8...what happens if I overclock the cpu with ASUS motherboard automatic overclock to 3.2ghz on all cpus all the time, will turbo core come in action and overclock it even further like to 3.6-3.8 ghz? Or it will just not appear?

If thats correct, then automatic overclocking on motherboards is a waste since new cpu overclock themselves when requiered?

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Not sure with how turbo core works on an oc'ed processor, but amd or intel would only overclock their processors to a certain safe degree.

Some overclockers could achieve 40~100% overclock, something Intel or AMD would probably never do for you (because they wouldn't be able to sell their higher end lines to you).

brembos

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
If you want to oc your cpu, you must disable the turbo core, otherwise it will not get the full potential of the overclocking
mine was AMD FX-6300, gigabyte GA-970A-UD3, and hd6750x2.
I oc it at 4.2GHz at 1.3++v, 65-70 degree at full load (before was 70++ degree and I decrease the voltage).

And if your bios does not have the option to disable the turbo feature (which was like mine mainboard) just turn it off at AMD overdrive apps and click apply setting on my last reboot something like that, and make sure your system is stable enough