Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 1401 U Graphics card
a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
April 8, 2010 10:13:05 PM

It looks like one.
m
l
April 9, 2010 12:51:55 AM

and is the reference board something you want to get or no? hello bighairyman haha thanks for helping me out with my 5870, i am in the market for another 5870 as well.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1401 U Graphics card
a c 304 Ĉ ASUS
April 9, 2010 1:00:42 AM

If you are not planning massive overclocking then the reference is as good as any. Usually when we say reference we are talking about the cooler, soon after release versions with different coolers (none reference) start coming out and some of them are better suited for overclocking.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:29:58 AM

Why do you care if it is reference board or not. They all run the same. Unless you want a smaller card. Powercolor does non reference boards but only for the low end 5000 series, which cuts those cards down an inch.

Reference cooler or not is what you should be looking for.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:30:38 AM

And although the reference cooler on the 5870 isn't THAT loud or gets THAT hot, there are better choices available for about the same money.
m
l
April 9, 2010 1:48:18 AM

If you didn't go with this Asus 5870 card, what would you go with? And not just for cooling reasons, but also OCing capability. Lets not take XFX's warranty offer into consideration as well. Seems like this question has been asked another of times on this site. The Vapor-x offers good cooling, however I've heard that its pretty limited on OCing ability.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:59:14 AM

I have the Vapor-X 5870, and I'm, as I was with my 4870 Vapor-X, VERY impressed with the cooling. Idles at 35C and loads somewhere around 70C with an overclock to 940 core and 1300 mem, all with the fan forced to 45% (still silent at that point). The reason that these cards can't overclock well is that Sapphire uses special VRMs that are more efficient, but block the ability to raise the voltage through any current software means.

If you're planning on overclocking, I'd grab the cheapest reference card you can find along with a Thermalright Spitfire and VRM-R5. Anandtech measured a 39C drop in temp in comparison to the reference cooler. If that cooler can't score you a great overclock, then I don't know what will!!
m
l
April 9, 2010 3:31:08 AM

The reason I am asking is because you can overvolt reference boards and use MSI afterburner on them...Vapor-X cards or non-reference cards you cannot. I made the mistake of buying a non-reference card yesterday and I returned it. I wanted to make sure the Asus is..
m
l
April 9, 2010 4:16:11 AM

however i heard that the current vapor-x hd5870 series can't be overclocked that well. I also have hd-5870 vapor-x and ran into the gsod problem even with the clean install and 10.3 driver (which they claimed would fix the gsod i believe). also these are the reviews i've found...

This card is a scam. DO NOT BUY THIS CARD! Here is how and why this card is a scam. When this card first came out it was awesome and gained an awesome rep. The card was solid! Excellent cooling and easily overclocked. But that was rev1 P# 100281VXSR The true Vapor-X 5870. This card is the cheap knock off P#100281VX-2SR. A cheap version that you can't overclock. Buy a standard 5870 and save yourself some money.

Poor overclocker. This is a non-reference card and does not have adjustable voltages. Why any company would design something with an amazing out of the box cooler on it like this and gimp it's overclocking ability is beyond me.

YES, it does have an amazing cooler. with 40% fan speed, my temp idles 31C and 55C on load. but from what ive read, they're not a great overclocker like hockster says.

if the reference cards OC's better than vapor-x, i'm going to put down my money for it and hope that my card was just a dud. As far as i can tell, my friends reference 5850 runs at 35 idle and 60 loaded even when running the fan at 30%. I think that those who are getting poor temp for HD58XX might have a bad airflow for their cases.
m
l
April 9, 2010 4:25:59 AM

so bigharyman have you found out if that asus card is indeed a reference card? i might get one as well.
m
l
April 9, 2010 4:35:32 AM

I have not found out for sure.. I believe the cooling is non-reference but the card itself is reference. It comes with overvolting software so I know you can overvolt it. From what I've read, it seems to be the one to get... 3 years warranty, overvolting software, better cooling than reference, whats not to like?
m
l
April 9, 2010 4:51:37 AM

yeah i'm trying to find out too but one thing i noticed is that the length of the card is 9.5 inches which is the length of vapor-x. I see that other reference cards having the length of ~11inchs. Is this something to be looked into? just don't want neither of us to make a mistake haha :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 5:19:48 AM

I have the v1 card and currently running 1.2V 950 core with a 1300 shader with no issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 12:51:03 PM

eylee86 said:
yeah i'm trying to find out too but one thing i noticed is that the length of the card is 9.5 inches which is the length of vapor-x. I see that other reference cards having the length of ~11inchs. Is this something to be looked into? just don't want neither of us to make a mistake haha :) 

That doesn't seem right, as all reference cards are the same length, though the two reviews on Newegg both state that the card is 11" long, as well.

Another thing that doesn't seem right is that it only has one DVI, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort connectors, skipping out on the extra DVI port that the reference cards all have. It smells fishy with regards to still being considered a reference card, but one reviewer one Newegg states that it comes with software that can up the voltage.

I guess the golden question is do you need the card to be overclocked? I haven't yet run into any games that have stressed my 5870 to where it actually needs the overclocking at 1920x1080. I overclocked mine for the heck of it :) 

Actually, I take that back. Borderlands absolutely hates it when I force 24x AA through CCC. :lol: 
m
l
April 11, 2010 6:30:35 AM

I just got my Asus 5870 v2 a couple days ago and I can tell you that it is NOT a reference board. It actually looks pretty similar to the upcoming 5870 Matrix, minus a few PWM phases and such though. I have yet to test how well it overclocks....
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2010 6:06:31 PM

Daisho said:
I just got my Asus 5870 v2 a couple days ago and I can tell you that it is NOT a reference board. It actually looks pretty similar to the upcoming 5870 Matrix, minus a few PWM phases and such though. I have yet to test how well it overclocks....

how Long is this card? 9.5 or 11 inch? It's important because the power connectors are on the end, it won't fit on my case if it's 11"
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2010 6:12:33 PM

Generally, if the card is 10.5-11", they put the power connectors on the top so that the card can fit into more chassis.
m
l
!