Can a Xeon HP Server make a good gaming pc?

BradAllen123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Ive got an HP Proliant DL180 G5 Server Xeon 2GHz - 1GB, its a rack mount system, the question is does anyone know if this pc/motherboard/system could be a good gaming pc? or is there something where the cpu wouldnt run games right? it has built in graphics but if a fast video card were added would the fact its a Xeon cpu make it screaming fast?

boon_pek

Mar 5, 2010
No, not really. I have one of those servers in school and they suck at everythng else except for serving. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my experience, Servers are not good for gaming.

spinning rust

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
boon is right, servers are meant to be reliable 24x7 work horses, not gaming machines. if you want to game with a Xeon, look at machines that are marketed as "work stations", i've seen work stations withe dual socket Xeons, over 16 GB RAM, RAID cards, SAS drives and .16 pci-e slots. but then that is overkill for most games as they ususally don't support all that extra hardware.

oaberbyamd

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Im thinking on doing the same with a ML 110 G6. With a Xeon x3430 (2.4GHz) for just 370 pounds.
You can install registered or unregistered DDR3 RAM, has a PCIe x16 so you could plug any video card, all you need is replace the PSU.
Question is, would it work?
Because for that money, you get:
a nice chasis, a nice? processor, SATA2raid capabilities, DDR3 ram... i cannot put together anything for that money...
and here are cheaper quad cores servers out there...(G5)
Cannot see why it wont work...
Suggestions?

oaberbyamd

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

What Graphic were you using? did you plug that video card on a different rig?

rf213d

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
my server 2 xeons 5690s 12 core 24 hyper threading .pross speed 3.47 out of the box 48 gigs,ssd, evga server mother board sr-2 xfx cross fire cards 4gigs per card core clock 850.top dog server.giving gamers a hard time hahaha use it for my desk top window7 64bit can play all games no problems.total cost $10,000 :kaola:

rf213d

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
(part 2 ) servers can be apart of the gaming world .you must find the fastest pross speed out of a xeon 3.47 is the way to go .why build such a high cost server for gaming. ill tell you why if you want run any co op games and you want to invite your friends then you have the power to do so. but you will not us all the cores for gaming and the total ram .the sr-2 mother board from evga is the best for gaming .EVGA Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A2 LGA 1366 Intel 5520 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HPTX Intel Motherboard. for this type of mother board you will need a big server case to fit this sr-2 mother board cost me $800.00 .one thing to keep in mind you must have the top high speed service you can get.i use the the timewarnercable service wide band 50 down stream and 5 up stream $100.00 a month for this service. mw3 this game rocks on my server.it also helps my friend when i do a invite to play on line steam.WOULD LIKE TO SAY TO ALL THE GAMERS THAT THANK SERVERS CANT BE USED FOR GAMING ARE WRONG TILL YOU BUILD ONE AND USE ONE YOUR NEVER KNOW THE POWER OF LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE. :lol

CharlesLam

Reputable
Apr 15, 2014
running on a xeon x3460 currently. the problem is the motherboard. server motherboards mostly do not support sli or crossfire. but if you run a single videocard, you can expect some good results.