Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • USB3
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2012 8:00:13 AM

Hi,
I was wondering if you could help me please.

I am looking for a 2.5” External Hard Disk (for Backing up only) my notebook PC Win XP home 32bit around the 500GB to 1 TB or larger, preferably Western Digital or Seagate.

My notebook only has USB 1.1 and am not sure if a USB 3 device would work.

I would like to continue to use the HDD once I upgrade and have USB 3 speeds available to me.

Could you please tell me which ones are backward compatible and will still be able to push full USB 3 speeds when connected to a USB 3 computer?

Thank you very much for your time and effort.

More about : usb usb external hdd

June 20, 2012 8:35:19 AM

USB 3.0 works on USB 1.1 but you have to install the new driver, BUT even if it is 3.0 it will work as 1.1 until you get a 3.0 port.

USB has backwards-forward compatibility
June 20, 2012 9:32:39 AM

Hi Dangi,
Thank you for the great information.
You mentioned that I must install the new driver in order for it to work.
The driver for the External HDD I assume you are referring to, which comes with the HDD?
e.g. SES Driver for Western Digital or GoFlex Driver for Seagate.
June 20, 2012 3:13:35 PM

A device drive for the OS, to get a better USB 3.0 compatibility.
Sometimes the driver doesn't come with the device and you may need to download it.
It's going to mention it in whatever piece of paper comes with the drive.
There's a second thing to do if you want more speed and that is to put a PCMCIA USB controller in your laptop.
http://www.singular.com.cy/m-cab-usb-adapter-cardbus-us...
The thing is, you'd need to know your laptop's PCMCIA compatibility. The one in the link may not work on newer laptops if they have the new PC express ports instead of PCMCIA.
June 20, 2012 10:29:38 PM

Hi username-taken,
I will check the web site for driver downloads, if the drivers aren't pre bundled.
Also thank you for the suggestion of the PCMCIA USB controller, if i should want more speed until i make the upgrade.
!