Sign in with
Your question
Closed

NEED HELP FAST !!-No Response from Power Supply or MoBo both brand new

Last response: in Components
July 14, 2010 7:12:15 AM

Hello,

First time building a brand new computer. I have upgraded computers in the past and this time decided to start from scratch. Here is what I am dealing with:

ci7 930
Corsair TX650W
Gigabyte X58A UD3R
HD 5770
40gb SSD Intel
750GB WD
3x2GB Patritot memory
coolermaset CM690 tower

I have tried unplugging and replugging in the components numerous times. I am using the 24 pin connector from PSU to MOBO and i am having trouble deciding if I should use 4 or 8 pin for other connector. 4 of the pins seem to match the other 4 dont match but the component still fits in the slot. When I turn the switch on the power supply on nothing happens. Then when I try to hit the power switch on the Tower nothing happens. I have checked to make sure that the power/LED/reset buttons from the tower are attached to the MoBo correctly but maybe I missed something. Im sure its probably me but I was wondering if the Power Supply should do anything if you plug into the wall and turn it on or does it have to correctly be attaced to a MoBo to work. I am trying to be patient and dont think it is the case shorting out the MoBo. I bought the parts from Microcenter and plan to ask them about the Power Supply. I would really like to finish builindg this comp on my own. Thanks in advance for the help. I am comfortable that the memory and graphics cards are installed correctly as I have done those installs before, its the power supply/MoBo/ and to some extent the SSD I am worried about. :pt1cable: 

Michael
a b ) Power supply
July 14, 2010 10:37:56 AM

if the power supply has a switch from 220/120 volt, make sure it is in the right position. If it is not in the right position, your PSU will be dead. if thats ok, remove EVERYTHING from the motherboard except the power connectors and power switch (or just short the power switch connectors with a screwdriver to turn it on ). If it doesnt at least turn on with the bare minimum plugged in, then either your motherboard or psu is no good. you can also test the psu by shorting 2 of the pins( cant remember which 2 off hand) or just take the psu back to where u bought it and they should be able to test it for you. hope that helps
Score
a c 144 ) Power supply
July 14, 2010 10:52:27 AM

First:
Our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

To check out (sort of) the PSU:
Try to borrow a known good PSU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if
it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

The PSU will not do anything when you plug it into the wall and turn on the power switch on the back of it. The PSU has what is called active PFC (google the term) and does not have a voltage selector switch on it.

The troubleshooting thread mentions a system speaker to generate the various beeps as the system POST's. If you do not have one, you really need one.

The troubleshooting thread also mentions breadboarding (building the system without a case):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

That's good for two things: eliminating problems caused by the case or bad installation and testing the parts before you go through all the trouble installing them in a case.

I have a paragraph there describing how to build and test in stages.
Score
Related resources
July 14, 2010 2:33:29 PM

you mentioned only connecting 4 of the 8 pin cpu power connectors.. i would put money on not enough power you NEED all 8 pins for it to post.. I have the same cpu and board.

those connectors can only be installed one way
Score
July 14, 2010 4:53:22 PM

Thank you Iam2thecrowe, jsc, and Hard Line. I am going to try taking the power supply back to the store where I purchased it after I try youngster's idea of the bare minimum approach. I appreciate the timely responses as I forsee myself having to return this power supply. But I am a newb to this so I do give it at least a 50% chance that I am doing something wrong. At work will update tonight with progress.
Score
July 15, 2010 12:11:53 AM

Ok so I was able to test the PSU via the paper clip method and good signs the fan went on so the PSU seems like it isnt the issue. I am assuming its me at this point. I have the 8 pin and the 24 pin connector attached to the motherboard as well as hard drive and graphics card. The cooling unit on proccessor is attached to "CPU FAN" location on motherboad and the other fans are hooked up to various fan slots around MoBo. I have tried taking out Memory down to one stick and its in the white slot closest to the Proccessor. The slots for memory go blue white blue white blue white. I have yet to see or hear any noise from the MoBo. My tower has a wall in it to mount the MoBo but I didnt see any spacers ... are these really necessary? My screws are barely long enough to go through MoBo to hold it in place. I am frustrated that I cant get any signs of life from LED lights to fans. I will probably try taking everything out of tower to test it. Please let me know what the best procedure to problem solve this issue would be. ALso I am 99.9% sure that I installed the Processor chip correctly according to markings and figures.
Score
July 15, 2010 12:18:50 AM

OK first, make sure you use every other ram slot skip the one closest to the heatsink. when using 3 slots you MUST only use the white slots..
Score
July 15, 2010 12:38:10 AM

Hard Line said:
OK first, make sure you use every other ram slot skip the one closest to the heatsink. when using 3 slots you MUST only use the white slots..

Ok so I tried all memory slots...nothing happened....right now the only thing i have connected to PSU is the mother board with the 8 and 24 pin connectors...the mobo is still in the tower but I have to go do something and wont be able to take it out until I get back....I am pretty close to just getting professional help....I am getting no lights/sounds/noises of anykind from the motherboard once its attached to the power supply....and also the case leds that are hooked up through the mobo arent working....If i could just get any response from the mother board I would be happy.
Score
July 15, 2010 12:52:43 AM

ok I would breadboard it at this point.. take it out of the case and put it on a piece of cardboard or wood.. ( something non conductive ) hook up power supply, install ram and see what happens. also, did you use thermal paste? if so how much? if you used too much, it can seep down around the cpu
Score
July 15, 2010 1:00:17 AM

before I leave I wanted to throw out some things i might run into...first should there only be two plugs ( 8pin and 24 pin) from the PSU to the mobo hooked up? second should something happen if the mobo is hooked up to the PSU with the processor in and nothing else connected? third if i do see thermal compound has leaked at edges its it safe to clean with anything?
Score
July 15, 2010 1:04:22 AM

the mainboard has 24 pin and 8 pin for power.if nothign else ( memory incl) AND you have an internal speaker connected, the system should beep a code.. no meomory has 1 code, and no graphics card is another beep code. as for cleaning thermal paste, 90% rubbing alcohol should do you fine. anything lower IMO has too many minerals. ( make sure everything is completely dry before plugging anything in
Score
a c 1200 ) Power supply
July 15, 2010 1:25:47 AM

Have you checked for any extra unused standoffs that may be shorting out the underside of the motherboard?

If breadboarding works then check for any standoffs on the motherboard tray that do not have a screw screwed into them when the motherboard is installed.
Score
July 15, 2010 4:10:27 AM

Hard Line said:
the mainboard has 24 pin and 8 pin for power.if nothign else ( memory incl) AND you have an internal speaker connected, the system should beep a code.. no meomory has 1 code, and no graphics card is another beep code. as for cleaning thermal paste, 90% rubbing alcohol should do you fine. anything lower IMO has too many minerals. ( make sure everything is completely dry before plugging anything in

Ok I triple checked the cpu just to make sure it didnt have too much conductor and it didnt...there was a nice clean circle from the area of contact....so i strapped that bad boy back in and took the mobo out to begin the breadbox....how do I know if the internal speaker is hooked up? does anyone know if it is preinstalled on the gigabyte x58 A UD 3R ?... will update on breadbox setup shortly.
Score
July 15, 2010 4:12:39 AM

super fast update...upon plug in i see a LED light on..its a blue light on the back instrument panel label clr CMOS...yet to hear any noises... :bounce: 
Score
July 15, 2010 5:49:18 AM

YAY!! CPU fan went on along with graphics card fan along with some green and yellow lights on the mobo...lol im afraid to turn it off.....whats crazy is i was just tightening and loosening some of the screws and all the sudden the whole thing turned on...hopefully this isn't a terrible sign...i need to get a connector to hook my monitor up now...i guess the fun is just about to begin...cant wait to see if i can get this bastard to get a signal and then install the OS....I am enjoying this process and I have probably logged about 10 hours just to get the flippin *** to turn on...gotta love DYI technology. THanks a lot for the help so far...Maybe If I can finish assembling proccess with not too many more hiccups Ill move my discussion into OS if that becomes my new challenge....Hope our paths cross again in cyberspace.
Score

Best solution

July 15, 2010 11:12:12 AM

Glad we could help you. sounds like you had something grounding out the board ( which was my suspicion.) let us know if you need more help
July 15, 2010 5:31:45 PM

Best answer selected by mpala.
Score
July 15, 2010 5:54:09 PM

Thank you for choosing me for best answer... and as Always we are always here to help!
Score
a b ) Power supply
July 16, 2010 12:39:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!