Whats better, 1 good VC or 2 mid-level crossfire?

samson10

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I now have MB that will run quad crossfire, I would like to know if I would be better off spending the money on one good video card or buy two mid-level cards?

Solution
It depends what you want. Usually a single better card is better and easier to deal with. Then it is the value. Today you can buy a HD5870 for ~$400 but 2 x HD5770 in crossfire deliver about equal HP for a total cost of ~$300-320
It depends what you want. Usually a single better card is better and easier to deal with. Then it is the value. Today you can buy a HD5870 for ~$400 but 2 x HD5770 in crossfire deliver about equal HP for a total cost of ~$300-320

Solution

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Artifacting from crossfire isn't really a problem these days. Usually a driver problem but the odd game would have it.

Just remember a single card runs cooler and quieter than two cards.
Some games scale really really good with crossfire and SLI but some games don't. While all games scale equally as well on flat out better cards.

That is exactly the reason we are getting questions like this on the forum " SLI my GTX260 or upgrade to HD58xx?"

and i'm the other way around, get a good PSU from the start in case you do want it in a year or so

though, eyefinity would be nice, the DX11 can wait IMO

randomkid

Distinguished
I see... Thanks for quick reply...
If the price of the Eyefinity edition will not be very different from normal one's, then I could buy it too...
I set a budget for and 5870 + 3 monitors already and I currently think 6 is too much... but who knows?