SammyBusby

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Im in the market for a new AMD CPU and I want one that I can overclock and that is relatively cheap. Say, around 100 bucks. The cheaper the better. So which AMD Proccessors can I buy that I can OC?? Can you OC any of them or are there only certain ones? I know the Black Editions can OC but what about something like the Athlon 64 x2's? Can the be OCed?? Im on a very very very tight budget so I have to basically scrape the bottom of the barrel. Thanks in advance for your replies and insight.

mark1995n

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
based on this you have two options. (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i5-athlon-ii,2675-3.html)

1. Athlon II X4 635
2. Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition

Advantages of Athlon over Phenom one
Athlon II X4 635 because it's quad core cpu while the phenom is dual core.

Advantages of Phenom over Athlon one
You might also consider the phenom cpu because it has unlocked clock multiplier.

If you're going to be using it for gaming then the phenom since dual core is enough and not alot of games utilize the full advantages of quad core.

Hope this has helped you, and nothing came from all thanks to toms hardware.

Gaming is rapidly gearing towards heavy multicore usage.. And like it has been always the case, higher clock speeds too play an important part.. The Athlon II X4 635 suits on all these criterions and fits your price bracket also.. What other components do you have or wish to add in your rig.?

SammyBusby

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Im not sure on the motherboard just yet. I do want one that will allow me to overclock though. I havent bought anything for my build yet. Just wanted some impressions on what to get. Im looking to spend about 100 bucks on the PCU, and 100 on the motherboard. I was just wanting to know if I could overclock any other type of Processor than the black edidtions. Ive also heard that if you by a black edition dual core that you MAY, MAY be able to unlock the other two cores so I may take a gamble and try one of those

Why do you need to unlock cores when you can get a true quad core already.! The black editions are more easier to overclock but getting a dual core is not something i'll personally recommend.. If you can access newegg, look out for combo deals.. They tend to be sometimes a little more price effective.. Also check out this months article on best gaming CPU's.. It'll certainly aid you in taking a firm decision..

pokealot

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have the Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition, but unlocking the cores is like gambling. I got lucky and was able to. But, to unlock the cores you need a GIGABYTE brand motherboard, because they are the only brand that has that option in the bios.

loneninja

Distinguished

Any motherboard with the SB710 or SB750 with ACC options has the ability to unlock cores. Asrock boards, Biostar boards, Asus boards, MSI boards, etc have all been unlocked on.

ares1214

Splendid

no way. in my opinion, MSI mobos are the best overclockers for people who are lazy and people new to overclocking, and they oc in the top 3, probs a tie in the high end market. they have some of the best boards in every socket:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130289&cm_re=big_bang-_-13-130-289-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274&cm_re=gd70-_-13-130-274-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130261&cm_re=gd85-_-13-130-261-_-Product

really good prices too. i dont like gigabyte as much, they havent been as stable or quality as my MSI boards. and gigabyte boards look ugly, msi look nice :lol:

pokealot

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

PSH.... I tried MSI 3 times every board was unstable, but whatever I still would go with Gigabyte. But, thats my opinion, so just go with a brand that you like i guess.

All upper end boards regardless of the manufacturer come with more or less the same features and overclock abilities.. It may then come up to the boards layout as a deciding factor.. I too personally give preference to Gigabyte boards when it comes to an AMD build.. But at the same time, there's no denying that MSI mainboards feature the most usable layout.. The 790FX-GD70 for instance has enough pci express slots for a good crossfire setup added with couple of other pci express based cards (like sound card, raid card etc.).. And they are priced sensibly too.. The only other manufacturer with such neat layouts may be EVGA..

ares1214

Splendid

i have the 790fx gd 70 :kaola:

krazipo

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

i have a Phenom II X2 555 BE unlocked to PHenom II X4 B55 using an ECS A790GXM-AD3 MoBo .... its not just gigabyte .. its ACC in bios is what your looking for and even with ACC its still a gamble to unlock the cores if your looking to be "future proof" i would just get the quad core and not take the gamble ( even tho i love my CPU) im still kicking myself for not just waiting for the 6core :(

SammyBusby

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Since you fail to answer the most important question in your quest for a motherboard, sorry I cannot help you.

Sorry for taking so long. Im not sure what memory I want to get really. The cheapest i guess. I have 2GB of DDR2 memory in this computer now that I could probably use. Like I said im on a TIGHT TIGHT budget. Thats why I was considering getting th black edition AMD and trying to unlock the other two cores. They are cheaper.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010

Unlocking cores are pretty much gambling. You can also do that to the regular ones, it doesn't have to be a Black Edition.

podmonkey

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I would suggest a 3 core system then if the budget is that tight. the pricing is more comparable to the duals so they are very good value. great at overclocking too. the chance to unlock the 4th core still remains but is still a gamble (but at least you would get the single extra core for certain over the dual).

I went for the athlon II x3 435 (got lucky and was able to unlock the 4th) and did a steady overclock to 3.5ghz and its running like a peach.