Sign in with
Your question

Corsair RAMs - XMS3 or Dominators?

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 11:50:49 AM

Hey,

I am upgrading my RAM tommorow and I do not know which RAM has a higher performance/value. My System in my sig is slightly outdated so don't rely on them.

They have 2 choices, the Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 C8 RAM and the Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 C9 RAM. My system is listed below:

Intel Core i7 920
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Sapphire HD5850 Toxic
Corsair TX850 850W

I know a little about overclocking, but I am learning more and now I'm saving up for a Liquid Cooling system.

May 7, 2010 1:00:09 PM

Bump. Anyone?
m
l
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2010 1:06:03 PM

I'm going to say neither. Corsair's sticks are overpriced, especially their Dominators. Here's some very fast, fairly cheap sticks: G.Skill Pi 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $190. They're about the same price as the XMS3, but faster. They're faster and cheaper than the Dominators.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 1:24:57 PM

Yes, yes they are. But I usually rely on Quality instead of speed, are those G.Skill sticks better than the Dominators or XMSs in Quality?
m
l
May 7, 2010 1:29:09 PM

Yes. G.Skill is the best manufacturer for RAM right now. They recently won four places out of ten (1st for sure, then I think it was 2nd, 5th and 7th) at a major overclocking competition. Their name just isn't as well known as Corsair (yet).

To be fair, as far as RAM quality goes, there is only one brand I would avoid: OCZ. And it has nothing to do with actual quality, but more with compatibility. OCZ's sticks require very high voltages to run, which many motherboards don't like (especially Intel boards), so they're hit or miss in terms of compatibility. Every other brand is just fine (Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial, etc.), it just happens that G.Skill's sticks are the cheapest for their performance.

EDIT: When I say recently, I mean like 6 months ago. I believe the competition is only held once a year. If I still had the link to the announcement, I'd post it...
m
l
May 7, 2010 1:33:02 PM

I'll pick up my RAMs from the shop tomorrow. They have the G-skill Trident 6gb ddr3-2000mhz cl9 RAM, are those good quality sticks?
m
l
May 7, 2010 1:42:33 PM

Yes, but not a good choice. Anything over 1600 mhz is a waste of money. Ideally, you want to get 1600 mhz CL 7, as that's the best spot in terms of performance for overclocking. The sweet spot before overclocking is 1333 mhz CL 7.

The Tridents would be better than either of the Crosairs, but I wouldn't pay extra for them. I would get any non-OCZ 1600/CL 7 sticks they have, unless they're really expensive. If they don't have any, get 1600/CL 8, again if they're at a reasonable price.
m
l
May 7, 2010 7:18:34 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Yes. G.Skill is the best manufacturer for RAM right now. They recently won four places out of ten (1st for sure, then I think it was 2nd, 5th and 7th) at a major overclocking competition. Their name just isn't as well known as Corsair (yet).

To be fair, as far as RAM quality goes, there is only one brand I would avoid: OCZ. And it has nothing to do with actual quality, but more with compatibility. OCZ's sticks require very high voltages to run, which many motherboards don't like (especially Intel boards), so they're hit or miss in terms of compatibility. Every other brand is just fine (Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial, etc.), it just happens that G.Skill's sticks are the cheapest for their performance.

EDIT: When I say recently, I mean like 6 months ago. I believe the competition is only held once a year. If I still had the link to the announcement, I'd post it...

Winning some unnamed OCing competition is not necessarily an indicator of quality. Warranty, durability, and support however are good signs. If OCing is your measuring stick, have a look around at HWBOT, XS, etc.
m
l
May 7, 2010 7:20:24 PM

boon_pek said:
Hey,

I am upgrading my RAM tommorow and I do not know which RAM has a higher performance/value. My System in my sig is slightly outdated so don't rely on them.

They have 2 choices, the Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 C8 RAM and the Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 C9 RAM. My system is listed below:

Intel Core i7 920
ASUS P6TD Deluxe
Sapphire HD5850 Toxic
Corsair TX850 850W

I know a little about overclocking, but I am learning more and now I'm saving up for a Liquid Cooling system.

The Dominators have removable fins for the addition of aftermarket cooling if you are looking into a nice custom water loop. If you are going for a max OC on your 920, I'd suggest the Dominators. If you are content with an "average" OC to about 4GHz or so, then the C9 XMS version is more than enough.
m
l
May 7, 2010 7:30:03 PM

Frankly, I wouldn't count on a spokesperson for the company to offer fair and objective advice...

I'd say the first measure of quality is winning awards. If that weren't true, why would we pay any attention to reviews? While it was unnamed before, I've found a reference for it. It was the F1OC. G.Skill won 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 7th. And I quote "this result once again proves G.Skill’s leading technology on developing extreme performance computer memory and G.Skill’s memory is the best choice for top overclockers". Granted, that's not exactly fair because it was written by a G.Skill rep, but looking around, winning the F1OC seems to affirm that a bit.

As for removeable fins and aftermarket coolers, those are pretty much completely unncessary. And frankly, that's not a selling point of the Dominators, seeing as G.Skill's better at overclocking (see the above). So why waste money on sticks that offer features exclusive to massvie overclocking when they aren't even the best at overclocking?
m
l
May 7, 2010 7:47:22 PM

The OP asked for advice about Corsair memory specifically so my input is asked for and relevent. No need for you to threadjack here trying to promote your favorite brand.

"TOP OCers" are not relevent in this thread as the OP is not looking for DDR2000+ memory . If you insist on questioning why I do what I do, read the first post and respect the OP here. It's HIS thread.

However, since you seem to be stuck on speed and OCing: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3705/fastest-memory-race-...

And, you can't even buy most of the other "fastest" parts. Quite a few are "paper releases" talking about what they want to do. Ours are for sale, guaranteed, and supported by the best techincal and customer support in the industry.
m
l
May 7, 2010 8:00:21 PM

I wouldn't call offering advice on what the best performing part "thread jacking", especially since I'm the only one here not selling anything. I may like G.Skill sticks, but that's because at this moment, they're the best performing and reasonably priced against their competitors. If Corsair's 1600 mhz CL 7 sticks were less than G.Skill's I would recommend them.

Yes, those are fast sticks. What I'm stuck on is performance per dollar, not raw speed and overclocking. I would NEVER recommend getting super fast sticks (see my third post about G.Skill's Tridents), as going over 1600 mhz is just a waste of money, assuming the Tridents are actually more expensive, which they aren't compared to the 1600 mhz Dominators at most places.

As for Corsair being "for sale, guaranteed and supported by the best technical and customer support", that's debateable. For the first part, apparantely both Corsair and G.Skill are "for sale" (see OP's fourth post), and I'm betting that G.Skill is cheaper when comparing sticks with equal specs. As for "guaranteed", both G.Skill and Corsair have lifetime warranties, so they're equally "guaranteed". Finally, for the "supported" part, if you're the example of the customer support, I'm dissappointed. But that's besides the point. If you need support, there's already a problem. The goal shouldn't be to have the best support, it should be to NOT NEED SUPPORT.
m
l
May 7, 2010 8:10:56 PM

Boon_pek, good luck with your memory purchase, regardless of what brand you choose. If I can help with anything related to Corsair memory, please ask and I'll be happy to assist.
m
l
May 8, 2010 7:51:04 AM

Hey,

I got the Dominators as according to the seller, they are more compatible, cheaper and have a lifetime warranty. The G.Skill RAMs are very expensive, about $50 more so I just stuck with the Dominators which look very cool.

Thanks for your help tho, but I their G.Skill RAMs are expensive and they wont be in stock until next month.
m
l
!