Sign in with
Your question

Help with socket 775 motherboard please?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Quad Core
  • Socket
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 12:42:38 PM

Hi Guys, this is for a friend of mine. He needs a new motherboard for his quad core socket 775. Not sure precisely which processor he has.

Which would be good options for that socket?

More about : socket 775 motherboard

a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 1:06:28 PM

It'd really help to know what CPU it is. We also need to know what speed of RAM he has. Without those, we can only really guess at good boards.

Also, how much is he looking to spend? If it's a sizeable amount (like $300 or so), he's better off getting a new AM3 CPU and board with new DDR3 sticks.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 1:51:03 PM

^That's a good board, assuming he has DDR2 1066 or higher.
a c 89 V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 2:07:32 PM

Why would he need DDR2 1066 or higher? The "memory standard" rating on a board doesn't really mean anything. It's just the fastest speed they're rated to run at. They can run RAM at any speed below that.
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 2:14:54 PM

I thought that the lowest number was the lowest it will work with. I could be wrong about that, but usually it lists the slower standard sppeds that will work and the maximum speed accepted.

For an example, usually the board would say 1366(OC)/1066/800/667 if it accepted RAM at 667 or higher.

Is that wrong?
a b V Motherboard
May 7, 2010 2:31:39 PM

I'm not doubting you, I had just never come across the listing on Newegg where it didn't list the lower speeds separately or possibly just never really noticed before. It makes sense, but I always assumed they listed the minimums and maximums. Guess I've learned my one thing for the day.
May 10, 2010 11:36:52 AM

Hi, sorry was busy over the weekend...Shotstuff I was thinking of that same mobo originally but wasn't sure if his cpu would be compatible. I found out his details and then looked it up on gigabyte's website if the mobo supports it. q6600 and ddr2 800mhz ram.

So yes, he bought that mobo yesterday and everything works fine! thanks guys!!
!