How to hook up a Toshiba notebook drive to desktop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 6:13:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I have a friend's Toshiba 5005-S504 notebook computer that seems
to have been infected with a virus (or so I have been told) that
intereferes with the boot process. Machine starts to boot,
everything goes normally but then an error dialog shows up.
Error: isass.exe ... and then something about an expected
password not being received. It then goes into an endless loop
of trying to reboot.

I'm pretty certain that all the data I need is on the hard
drive--it doesn't appear to be damaged at all and the machine
was working immediately before this happened.

I've tried to boot from a CD--Windows XP and also a bootable CD
created by Acronis True Image backup software. But there is
something wrong with the CD drive on this machine also (we knew
this before) and it won't boot from the CD. To complicate
things further, Toshiba doesn't allow access to the BIOS except
through a WINDOWS utility (duh.....). (BTW, I called Toshiba's
tech support on this and it was, by far, the worst example of
tech support I have run into....and that's saying something.)

Anyway, a couple of people I have asked have suggested taking
the hard drive out and using a notebook-to-desktop adapter and
putting into a desktop as a slave and just copying off the
files. I've tried this but have run into problems with the
desktop I put it in recognizing the drive.

The adapter for the notebook drive seems pretty straightforwad,
but there are no markings on the notebook drive about how, or
even if, it can be jumpered, or set up to be a slave drive.
I've never tried this before, so I need some help on what I need
to do to get this non-bootable drive in an environment where I
can copy the data files I need. (This computer was the backup
for a crashed desktop--so the data is important.)

The male plug on the back of the notebook drive is 44-pins.
There are two more sets of pins that are offset from the 44-pin
plug that *might* be jumper terminals???

Any help or guidance appreciated. I'm in Los Angeles and would
be willing to pay a competent tech to do or help with this, but
every place I've called so far didn't inspire much confidence at
all. Just haven't run into anyone who sounded like they knew
exactly what they were doing.

I'm also open to just fixing the the thing so it will boot
again, but with a dead CD and the problems with accessing the
BIOS to make sure the computer is set to boot from the CD,
that's a bit of a problem of its own.

TIA.

Stephen Porter
Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 11:52:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

those "other" pins that are in addition to the 44 pins are the jumpers.

Support Bulletins

How to boot your Toshiba PC from CD-ROM, LAN, or diskette

Document ID: 98080545

Posted Date: 09/16/04

Last Updated: 09/16/04

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modelL...
0213934480.1096443479@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcmjhgjeefcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0&moid
=128929&smoid=true&ct=MH&ListType=Model&x=25&y=9

begin 666 dot_clear.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 12:27:43 PM

Stephen Porter wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a friend's Toshiba 5005-S504 notebook computer that seems
> to have been infected with a virus (or so I have been told) that
> intereferes with the boot process. Machine starts to boot,
> everything goes normally but then an error dialog shows up.
> Error: isass.exe ... and then something about an expected
> password not being received. It then goes into an endless loop
> of trying to reboot.
>
> I'm pretty certain that all the data I need is on the hard
> drive--it doesn't appear to be damaged at all and the machine
> was working immediately before this happened.
>
> I've tried to boot from a CD--Windows XP and also a bootable CD
> created by Acronis True Image backup software. But there is
> something wrong with the CD drive on this machine also (we knew
> this before) and it won't boot from the CD. To complicate
> things further, Toshiba doesn't allow access to the BIOS except
> through a WINDOWS utility (duh.....). (BTW, I called Toshiba's
> tech support on this and it was, by far, the worst example of
> tech support I have run into....and that's saying something.)
>
> Anyway, a couple of people I have asked have suggested taking
> the hard drive out and using a notebook-to-desktop adapter and
> putting into a desktop as a slave and just copying off the
> files. I've tried this but have run into problems with the
> desktop I put it in recognizing the drive.
>
> The adapter for the notebook drive seems pretty straightforwad,
> but there are no markings on the notebook drive about how, or
> even if, it can be jumpered, or set up to be a slave drive.
> I've never tried this before, so I need some help on what I need
> to do to get this non-bootable drive in an environment where I
> can copy the data files I need. (This computer was the backup
> for a crashed desktop--so the data is important.)
>
> The male plug on the back of the notebook drive is 44-pins.
> There are two more sets of pins that are offset from the 44-pin
> plug that *might* be jumper terminals???
>
> Any help or guidance appreciated. I'm in Los Angeles and would
> be willing to pay a competent tech to do or help with this, but
> every place I've called so far didn't inspire much confidence at
> all. Just haven't run into anyone who sounded like they knew
> exactly what they were doing.
>
> I'm also open to just fixing the the thing so it will boot
> again, but with a dead CD and the problems with accessing the
> BIOS to make sure the computer is set to boot from the CD,
> that's a bit of a problem of its own.
>
> TIA.
>
> Stephen Porter
> Los Angeles, CA

Just take the IDE cable from the secondary channel (usually hooked to CD
drives) and connect to the notebook drive temporarily. Copy your files
then put everything back the way it was.

--
Mike F.
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Thanks! I hadn't gotten this data on the F12 key which pauses
the boot screen and allows you to choose a boot device.

However, the CD-RW/DVD drive on this computer is not
functioning, so it's another Catch-22. See my other post about
where to find an affordable replacement. Any thoughts?

I have been able to get the data off the drive, but now I would
like to return this computer into a functioning unit again, but
I need to get a working CD-drive to reinstall OS.

TIA.

Stephen Porter

In article <FQt6d.277728$mD.80951@attbi_s02>, notadp@hotmail.com
says...
> those "other" pins that are in addition to the 44 pins are the jumpers.
>
> Support Bulletins
>

> How to boot your Toshiba PC from CD-ROM, LAN, or diskette
>

> Document ID: 98080545
>
> Posted Date: 09/16/04
>

> Last Updated: 09/16/04
>

> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlVie...
>

> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modelL...
> 0213934480.1096443479@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccdadcmjhgjeefcgfkceghdgngdgmn.0&moid
> =128929&smoid=true&ct=MH&ListType=Model&x=25&y=9
>

> begin 666 dot_clear.gif
> K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
> `
> end

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 2, 2004 1:59:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Mike,

Thanks for the tip--I don't know why I didn't think of that--
brain freeze, I guess. I was trying to figure out how to
jumper the thing so it would be a slave on the primary IDE
cable.

I've now gotten all the data from the drive..good! Now I need
to figure how to get a cheap replacement CD-RW/DVD (or just a
CD/DVD...or maybe even just a CD in order to be able to boot and
reinstall Windows XP).

Best regards,
Stephen Porter
LA, CA
October 7, 2004 2:44:21 AM

"Stephen Porter" <stp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the tip--I don't know why I didn't think of that--
> brain freeze, I guess. I was trying to figure out how to
> jumper the thing so it would be a slave on the primary IDE
> cable.
>
> I've now gotten all the data from the drive..good! Now I need
> to figure how to get a cheap replacement CD-RW/DVD (or just a
> CD/DVD...or maybe even just a CD in order to be able to boot and
> reinstall Windows XP).
>
> Best regards,
> Stephen Porter
> LA, CA

Install dos boot files to it and copy the windows xp cd to the hard drive (from
your desktop computer). You'd need to boot from a win98 boot floppy and run the
sys command.

Put it back in the laptop and you should be able to run the setup from DOS.
!