Limiting bandwidth to a computer

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Limit Bandwidth
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 23, 2010 4:13:41 AM

Hi there,

I'm sitting on a simple cable modem > router > three computers network. One of these is used by my sister-in-law. She's moved in with us recently, and she often uploads videos to her friends that are on the other side of the world. I'm not sure exactly how she's doing it, but it seems she's sending it by email (I know, that sounds absurd and impossible, but perhaps it's just some kind of upload server offered by mail.ru). When she does this, my internet speed slows down about ten-fold. Latencies to servers that usually show under 100 start to show over 900, and I can barely even load websites.

I've talked to her about limiting her upload speeds, doing it when I'm not home, doing it in the morning before she we all leave house until the afternoon, but that is all futile. So now I'm looking at taking matter into my own hands.

Is there a way I can limit her bandwidth usage through the router? If so, where can I get additional information on that? The router is a D-Link DI-604.

Thanks for any help!

More about : limiting bandwidth computer

February 23, 2010 3:03:14 PM

You could always just unplug the cable to her computer... :-) But yes... QoS is the answer as previously stated.
February 24, 2010 2:55:02 AM

Would you guys recommend any modems for this purpose in particular?
!