Sign in with
Your question

Garage computer recommendation?

Last response: in Systems
May 7, 2010 2:56:45 PM

Hey,

I'm putting a system together that will be routinely subjected to high temperatures,80 degrees+. It is for midrange gaming to pair with an existing 9800GT. Anyone have any recommendations for a cpu/mobo that will be able to handle high temps well without locking up? (additional details below)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This month

BUDGET RANGE: ~$200

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mid Range Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, powersupply, RAM, video card, optical drive, case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com has always done me right

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD or Intel, don't care which

OVERCLOCKING: No, because of the heat constraints this system will be under

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No, as I already have a 9800GT to pair it with

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Has to be able to run in a warm environment, 80-90 degrees.
May 7, 2010 3:42:59 PM

amd 435 and a hyper 212+

m
l
May 7, 2010 3:44:35 PM

got an old case, kb, mon, spkrs, OS ?

m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 3:47:11 PM

Please fill out form linked in my sig.
m
l
May 7, 2010 3:56:34 PM

Added detail form, thanks for the heads-up!
m
l
May 7, 2010 4:03:52 PM

yer gonna need another $120 ... any way you slice it ...

proc = $75~$140
mobo = $85~$140
cooler = $29
Ram = $105~$120
m
l
May 7, 2010 4:05:15 PM

a used PS2 (PlayStation game console) costs $200, man!
m
l
May 7, 2010 4:07:31 PM

I already have RAM, only need mobo, cpu, and cooler. Also I can spend more than 200 if there's a compelling reason to, but I was figuring it would be around that much.
m
l
May 7, 2010 4:34:48 PM

what exct ram? how much? ... which OS ... which games? ... rez?
m
l
May 7, 2010 5:02:42 PM

2 sticks of 2GB ddr2 800.

I have a legit 32bit windows XP.

World of Warcraft at 1440x900.

Thanks for your replies by the way :) 
m
l
May 7, 2010 5:38:05 PM

Hmmmm ... gonna have to find you a DDR2 mobo .... and commensurate proc @~3GHz

... I DO think the 435 has a DDR2 mode fir it's MMU ... just need a mobo that'll do both.

... lemme go and look ...

.. whooooosh !

= Al =
m
l
May 7, 2010 7:37:40 PM

Awesome, thanks for the rec!
m
l
May 7, 2010 10:57:58 PM

LOL - if it were me, I'd be looking for an air conditioner instead of a gaming computer for the garage. Exactly how much time do you plan to spend in there, and do you park cars & stuff in there?

Even the basement would be a step up (figuratively) from a hot garage, but that's just my opinion :p .
m
l
May 7, 2010 11:13:47 PM

I was thinking the samething Fazers_.

If you spent enough time in there, depending on the size of the garage get like a 7000 btu unit and if you have to run a funnel to your comp for extreme cooling.

Otherwise run like a pair of 200mm fans in your case and you should be fine.
(example)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
May 8, 2010 2:03:59 AM

fastx21 said:
I was thinking the samething Fazers_.

If you spent enough time in there, depending on the size of the garage get like a 7000 btu unit and if you have to run a funnel to your comp for extreme cooling.

Otherwise run like a pair of 200mm fans in your case and you should be fine.
(example)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Well I had a guy from Home Depot come out and give me a "man-cave" estimate (redoing my garage with tiled flooring, fancy wall-hanging cabinets, even a fridge & TV lounge area) for the measly sum of around $15K. Not that I was interested, since I prefer my "office" (where I have a plasma TV, PS3 & AV 7.1 setup - sure get lots o' work done in there :p ). But the guy ambushed me in the plumbing aisle during one of my weak moments, and I hadda sign up for the sales pitch just to get rid of him :kaola:  .

Anyway, I'm actually interested in the cooling aspect here because I had sound-insulated my office and now all that electronic stuff heats it up a bit much during the spring & summer. Particularly that plasma TV - you can feel the heat radiating off of it from a couple feet away. I'm planning on a gaming build myself real soon and am considering trying watercooling since I also have a fancy desk with a cubby for a midtower case, with front & back doors for passthrough air cooling, but it's already too warm in there plus leaving the doors open is just asking for my 3-yr-old son to wreak havoc.

Anybody know if there are waterblocks or water cooling kits out yet for the 480, seeing how new it is? I'd imagine the GPU and memory would have to be cooled, but that would make it nearly silent I guess. Plus I could use really long tubing and run the heat exchanger to the outside of the house. I know long tubing causes more flow resistance, but that could be counteracted with larger diameter tubing..
m
l
May 8, 2010 3:02:35 PM

I live in Austin TX and summer highs avg around 95'F+ ... I don't "DO" air-conditioning ... my central blower went out 4 years ago and I took of my clothes and openned the windows (insert image here) ....

I do live on the 7th floor and my neighbors (and common hall) AC bleeds-in enough (with the hi-rise breeze) to make it about ~84'F+/-5'F (avg ambient) ...

... Is that gonna be a " big " problem, for my 930/212+(OC)? ... "How" bad is that gonna

hurts/Hertz me ? / us ?

= Al =

m
l
!