Sign in with
Your question

I'm at my wits end with my graphics card and its drivers!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2010 12:30:11 AM

Everytime I try install them it goes through the installation of the catalyst stuff successfully but then when I restart the computer it is obvious that there are no graphics drivers installed and I cannot raise the resolution. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

My notebooks graphic's card is a ATI HD4570 and I'm running XP service pack 2.

Thanks!
Garrett
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 12:58:23 AM

Download Driver Sweeper (free) here. Uninstall your ATI drivers, run Driver Sweeper, restart you computer and re-install the latest (actually I'm using ATI's last month's driver release because the most recent release was buggy.)
m
l
April 9, 2010 1:15:54 AM

Could you link me to the driver release? I think I've already tried it but I may have tried the wrong thing. I'll do the driver sweeper right now.

Thanks,
Garrett
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2010 1:41:02 AM

treefrog07 said:
Sure - this is the PCIe (not AGP driver) for HD4XXX series, WinXP. If these do not work, try your notebook manufacturer's website/support/downloads.

Yep, thats the one I've been using. I tried it one more time after driver sweeper and still nothing, I can't change the resolution. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

The manufacturer is cyberpower, they don't have drivers on their site (unless they are somewhere I can't find them).

Garrett

Edit:

The cyberpower driver section is just links to the manufacturer's sites.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 1408 U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 1:50:01 AM

Have you tried installing just the driver skipping catalyst?
m
l
April 9, 2010 2:01:51 AM

rolli59 said:
Have you tried installing just the driver skipping catalyst?

I'll try that right now.
m
l
April 9, 2010 2:24:05 AM

Well this is ...Odd. I've used the driver cleanser tool several times already and its reporting drivers I KNOW I haven't installed. All the NVIDIA ones displayed there I certainly did not install.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 1408 U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 2:27:29 AM

Those are the drivers it can clean. You will have to tell it to remove the ATI display drivers for it to clean them out.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 2:36:30 AM

Just a quick question, is this a notebook that supports ATI's drivers? I only ask because many (including mine) only accept drivers directly from the notebook manufacturer.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 2:51:37 AM

EXT64 said:
.......is this a notebook that supports ATI's drivers? I only ask because many (including mine) only accept drivers directly from the notebook manufacturer.
This is why I suggested the notebook mfrs. website earlier.

m
l
April 9, 2010 3:06:22 AM

EXT64 said:
Just a quick question, is this a notebook that supports ATI's drivers? I only ask because many (including mine) only accept drivers directly from the notebook manufacturer.

Yep, I installed the newest ATI drivers from the ATI site in september when I got it. It crashed in febuary and I reinstalled windows. That is when the problem started. I've been running it without graphics card drivers from febuary till now (college was hectic and it wasn't a pressing concern).
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 3:17:57 AM

All right, just wanted to be sure.

If you go into Device Manager, does it list any drivers as installed for the GPU?
m
l
April 9, 2010 3:21:36 AM

EXT64 said:
All right, just wanted to be sure.

If you go into Device Manager, does it list any drivers as installed for the GPU?

Nope, even after I install the ati catalyst drivers.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 3:26:27 AM

Can you try older drivers, like around the ones you had before crash?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2010 3:59:52 AM

hi there rogueleader,

after installing your video drivers, check to see if your laptop monitor hertz is on the right setting. Hope this helps.
m
l
Related resources
!