Can motherboards cause heat issues???

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Running the new i5-2500k on the ASUS p8p67-M mobo
I've come across quite high idle and stress temperatures (40's and 80's). These temps are currently so high, I don't even feel comfortable trying to overclock my system.
I'm using stock settings (no OC) and the stock fan

according to other posts and http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/39555-intel-sandy-bridge-core-i5-2500k-core-i7-2600k-processors-review-20.html
the idle temps are in the mid 20's even with the stock fan

I've reapplied thermal paste, still no change. I went to exchange my cpu chip and still no change. Could it possibly be the motherboard?

Similar readings for CPUID HWM, CoreTemp. The SpeedFan readings are lower, but I've read that it's not accurate and the program often reports up to 15 degrees below the real temp. SpeedFan is showing core temps of 25-28 celsius, and a CPU temp of 80 at idle (why is the CPU temp so high compared to the cores?)

Thanks for any insights you guys may have

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
The BIOS reports 54 celsius :(

what can I do or where do I check for what the Vcore setting are and what are they supposed to be?

I noticed the CPU fan was 1400 RPM on bios... should it be going faster with my idle temps so high!?

Duh the links, 26C = 78.8F ; 24C = 75.2F, a plus 0~3.8F is BS {false} at idle. The 2500K Tcase Max is 72.6C. 54C is 129.2F.

I don't recommend OC'ing on a Stock CPU Fan. You should verify that the mounting pins are ALL properly mounted and secure {not loose - pushed in & twisted locked}. Further, in your BIOS verify that the CPU Fan control is enabled, and connected to the CPU_FAN header.

BIOS:
CPU QFan Control -> Enabled
CPU Fan Profile -> Standard {managed} or Turbo {full speed}

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I've checked the seating a few times, even remounted and repasted

I know small variation of temp at idle is fine, but I was wondering why SpeedFan has a "cpu temp" of 80 at idle and core temps 28 (both in celsius). Of course there is also a flame icon next to the cpu temp as it's saying the cpu is super hot...
not sure, maybe this is just a poor program from what I'm reading around.

Irregardless, CPUID and CoreTemp are hot at idle and at stress (40's and 80's celsuis)

to note, I've run into 3 blue screens of death since I've put in the new mobo/cpu... so there is some hardware issue going on I think.... I haven't had blue screens since exchanging the cpu, but it happens so randomly I'm not sure if that was the problem
but given that the exchanged cpu still reads super hot I'm thinking it's the mobo?

3rd party Temperature programs need to be updated for SB CPU's. Downloaded latest versions ? Tried lowering Vcore ?

The new SB's are w whole new ballgame ..... OC'ing a 2600k to 4.6 GHz caused absolutely 0 issues with heat in this test.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/8

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10

Let's have a look at a Prime95 stress test with all four cores active and stressed at 4600 MHz...(core temps 65 - 72) .... We guarantee you, you can take it further as well, as we used stock Intel cooling here

What thermal paste did you use ? Artic Silver 5 ?

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=138&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

Here is the Arctic Silver 5 recommended cure time instruction from the manufacturers web site:

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

So by my estimation of this statement it would take almost a year of normal use to properly cure the AC5 compound, or almost nine days of continuous power cycles to meet their recommendation. Benchmark Reviews feels that this is a characteristically unreasonable requirement for any TIM product, and we do not support it. We want products that perform without the burden of sacrifice on our time, especially with some many competing products offering performance without this extra requirement.

What cooler and TIM are you using ?

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for the reply...
I haven't tampered with the vcore because I feel that the computer should run properly at normal settings...why should I have to adjust stuff like that for the comp to run at proper temps...it feels like I would just be covering up the problem
(plus I'm worried about making something unstable by tampering with vcore? dunno much about it)

I use AS5, but I've never had issues with it working immediately on previously built systems...that review is stating long cure time as AS is claiming it can get even better temperatures....I would love to have even the temps that it should get without the full cure time.
Also, my core temps were high using the the thermal pad that came with the stock HSF...I only changed to AS5 when I tried to remount/repaste

Compared to the benchmarkreviews article, without OC'ing, I'm running 15-20 degrees hotter idling and 20-25 degrees hotter when stressed. Just doesn't seem right to me...

nged72

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

I just hated the noise and pressure that was necessary to put my 2500k on. Made me feel like i was crushing it when pushing that lever down.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I just got another blue screen of death :(

"If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options...."

sigh...
given that this happened with the first 2500k AND with the new exchanged one...mobo?
There are only three new things I'm running in my system: cpu, mobo, ram.
:heink:

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Did you just swap out to the new mobo/CPU setup, or did you reinstall windows and related chipset drivers?

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

No I just switched out the CPU's...haven't tried exchanging for a new mobo yet... that's why I'm asking the question

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

VCore at idle is around 0.968

d1rtyju1c3

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
It could be that the CPU temps are fine and that the board isnt reading the temps right.

Have you updated to all the latest Motherboard drivers?
Might see if there is already a Bios update to correct temp Reading problems.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Anyone know if that Vcore is normal?

there are no other updates for the mobo...it's brand new and no newer bios versions
I also think there has to be something else going wrong because I keep running into blue screens of death stating some kind of hardware malfunction :(

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
If the motherboard read the temps wrong, it would show high temps and run stable, not show a bit high temps and crash every now and again.

It is very possible that the mobo is the problem (or your heatsink got some kind of defect in the heat transfer and dissapation). You still have a warranty on it, so go to the dealer with your setup and tell them to fix it up for you. They will exhange faulty parts and it should work. Right now you are just wasting time.

Let me simplify, reset your BIOS:
1. Clear CMOS per manual
2. CPU QFan Control -> Enabled
3. CPU Fan Profile -> Standard {managed} or Turbo {full speed}
4. Save & Exit.
5. Boot to OS
6. Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic Mode
7. Restart
8. Run both Prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ and HWMonitor http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

{HOT} If your CPU is overheating then possible faults: MOBO, CPU, CPU Fan.

{Normal} If the problem is corrected then my assumption is that you're running some ASUS Utility or other App that is BIOS invasive and they should be removed immediately. The ASUS Utilities and most MOBO utilities cause more problems than they solve or help, and I never use them in any of my rigs.

Good link -> http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/910467-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a.html

The VID varies depending on the CPU speed and the spec operational ranges are 0.25~1.52v. Your Stepping will vary the voltages significantly.
processork.png

43C won't thermally shutdown or BSOD your rig.

As I stated above "6. Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic Mode" this will/should temporally disable any conflicting utilities or Apps. I would strongly recommend that you follow the steps 1-8 above.

If you're still receiving BSODs then open the Event Manager and look that the [+] Critical Errors and list them here.

Event_Manager.jpg

My Dad was hospitalized with CHF so I was away; he's okay now.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Yea, I took a quick look online because I started noticing that the BSODs were mostly happening after I wake the computer up from sleep mode, apparently this is a common problem

here is one error I saved:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA800593B7B0
BCP3: FFFFFA800593BA90
BCP4: FFFFF80002F975D0
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\013011-22791-01.dmp
C:\Users\IAN\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-38204-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

I guess I have 2 separate issues...

You need to determine what driver(s) is/are causing the problem(s) and update them.

In addition, it would be wise to run a Virus Check ; use ESET Online Scanner -> http://www.eset.com/online-scanner {I prefer ESET over Norton}

As far as being 'common' it's not that common to have BSOD issues with sleep. The above data tells me very little about what's causing the problem.

--

Also, there's a new BIOS that addresses " Improve System Stability" P8P67-M 0408 BIOS that was just posted 1/28/11.

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for the heads up about the BIOS update, last I checked there was only the original release...

If you search "windows 7 64 bsod after sleep" there are tons of threads, and I don't know where to start. I'm not sure what driver could be the problem, or as some other threads suggest, it may have to do with multiple hard drives...

the STOP error is usually 0x0000007A or 0x000000F4

cpulord1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
OK
I think I've narrowed it down to 2 possibilities:

1) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178
(describes a stop error with large SATA drives - I have a 2TB drive + 500GB drive)
it has both stop error messages

2) if it is a driver, I just noticed that in device manager I have a yellow exclamation mark by the "Other devices" - "PCI Simple Communications Controller"

when I search the above driver, I came across a thread that someone had the same issue and it messed with his temperature monitoring...could this be the culprit to my high temps?