Sign in with
Your question

CPU upgrade

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 14, 2010 9:52:15 AM

Hello,

I was thinking of upgrading my CPU. But I am not sure what to get or if I can get new one. Basic idea was to get some Athlon Quad, but after some research I'm having doubts if my mobo is supporting it.

My PC is HP Pavilion Media Center TV m8056.sc Desktop PC with ram upgraded to 3 gigs and
I graphics card to nVidia 9800GTX+.

On HP site, my mobo is said to support following processors:
( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00... )

Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 4000+

So does that mean, these 3 are the only eh.. replacemens I can get, meaning there is no possible
way to upgrade it to something with more cores? That's what I think at least, but would be nice to get
some confirmation from experts. I'm pretty newbie when it comes to computer stuff.

More about : cpu upgrade

a c 103 à CPUs
July 14, 2010 10:26:46 AM

These are not the only three as it supports slower versions of these 3 but no you cannot upgrade to 3 or more core processors on this board at least according to HP (which is most likely correct).
a c 159 à CPUs
July 14, 2010 10:28:52 AM

I don't recommend changing the cpu in any oem board. They aren't designed for it. Bios updates are rarely available, and the flash program often isn't provided. A bad flash will leave you with a dead board. I recommend you sell the whole system intact, and build your own. Also if you change boards, your windows operating system won't work. It's tied to the board.
!