Sign in with
Your question

Do seagate make good hard drives?

Last response: in Storage
June 20, 2012 2:09:52 PM

Their really cheap, could save me some money but if their not reliable then i dont want, at the moment i am get a western digital.
a c 371 G Storage
June 20, 2012 3:45:57 PM

Once upon a time they were good. I don't think they are doing as well right now. Stick with F3's and WD black series.
June 20, 2012 3:48:24 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Once upon a time they were good. I don't think they are doing as well right now. Stick with F3's and WD black series.

Western Digital is the one i did choose, whats f3 mean?
Related resources
a c 371 G Storage
June 20, 2012 3:52:50 PM

Samsung F3 drives.
a c 353 G Storage
June 20, 2012 4:02:09 PM

My preference for the last year, year and a half is the SAMSUNG F3 (more on this later).
WD, I only recommend the Blacks, not the green and blue models.

Both drives, I prefer the 1 TB models over the larger ones, seems to be more reliable.

The "Sata III" for HDDs is a Marketing tool as They perform just as well on sata II. The ONLY advantage of a sata III HDD, on sata III port, is the Burst sped - which is short and no effect on real day-to-day usage,

More on Samsung:
They just resental sold there spinpoint HDD plant to Seagate. The drives are still made at the same plant, by the same people and with the same QC. So Hopefully Still the same.
Seagate has at least on "seagate" branded drive that is also made at the Samsung plant. will have to see if I can refind the part number.

Added: Ifsdrive shows made in Korea" then made at the "old" samsung Plant, if says made in China, then made at a seagate plant.
a c 371 G Storage
June 20, 2012 4:07:26 PM

RetiredChief said:
More on Samsung:
They just resental sold there spinpoint HDD plant to Seagate. The drives are still made at the same plant, by the same people and with the same QC. So Hopefully Still the same.
Seagate has at least on "seagate" branded drive that is also made at the Samsung plant. will have to see if I can refind the part number.

Good catch RetiredChief. I keep forgetting they got bought out. Hopefully seagate doesn't mess this up. time will tell.
a c 371 G Storage
June 20, 2012 4:17:35 PM

I'm not fond of WD's green drives. We've had several of them die here at work and I've been noticing a lot of posts regarding problems/issues with WD green drives, especially the larger than 1Tb drives.

I have to wonder if QC is currently a problem for HD maunfacturer's since the flooding. I think in their efforts to keep up with demand they are cutting corners or slacking on the QC.
June 20, 2012 4:23:19 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I'm not fond of WD's green drives. We've had several of them die here at work and I've been noticing a lot of posts regarding problems/issues with WD green drives, especially the larger than 1Tb drives.

I have to wonder if QC is currently a problem for HD maunfacturer's since the flooding. I think in their efforts to keep up with demand they are cutting corners or slacking on the QC.

Yes, you could be onto something their, so what would you do a cavier black 1tb for £90 or a caviar green 2tb for £90? Keep in mind its for gaming and music only.
a c 371 G Storage
June 20, 2012 4:43:11 PM

Well, that is your decision, but if I had games on it, I'd go with the WD black. Green drives aren't built for performance, but to save energy. If it was for storage only or just music, then I'd get a green drive.

It's a tough choice considering you are getting twice the storage for the same price. I guess that's why I've been holding off on hard drive purchases, LoL!
June 20, 2012 4:49:02 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Well, that is your decision, but if I had games on it, I'd go with the WD black. Green drives aren't built for performance, but to save energy. If it was for storage only or just music, then I'd get a green drive.

It's a tough choice considering you are getting twice the storage for the same price. I guess that's why I've been holding off on hard drive purchases, LoL!

Thanks, I'll get the black one, 1TB will do me, think seeing i could get 2TB for the same price made me a little greedy :lol:  if i need to upgrade, I'll buy another HDD, making my first build you see.
Anonymous
June 20, 2012 4:49:29 PM

This always leads to anecdotal evidence...
...so here is mine. My desktop HDDs of the last 10 years.

1x Maxtor: dead within 6 months
1x Samsung: dead within a year
4x Seagate Barracuda: alive and spinning without bad blocks/clusters
June 20, 2012 4:51:16 PM

Anonymous said:
This always leads to anecdotal evidence...
...so here is mine. My desktop HDDs of the last 10 years.

1x Maxtor: dead within 6 months
1x Samsung: dead within a year
4x Seagate Barracuda: alive and spinning without bad blocks/clusters

How do you kill them so quickly, ive got a laptop, which i'm using now that is 4 years old and fine and had a 6 year old one (now in a landfill)
June 20, 2012 4:54:14 PM

your case makes a difference too. I've noticed that seagate and hitachi hdds fail much faster if they are in a case that doesn't cool them effectively.
I've never had a WD fail but I mostly have blacks. Only one green which has actually done quite well inside a prebuilt acer with zero ventilation on the drive cage for over 2 years. The green is slow though, I don't recommend for an OS.
a c 353 G Storage
June 20, 2012 4:56:30 PM

Have a feeling your from England, as link is in Pounds.

But That does not stop you from Using Newegg.com, Not to Buy but get a feeling on reliabilty of what drive you are planing on buying.
For EX the WD Green 23 % Negative (1/2 egg reviews)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Compare to WD 1 TB black (more popular, and 19% neg feedback
And for F3 - Only 14% neg fb
For what it's worth Just bought 2 of these puppies last week @ $80 ( 50 quid) On sale.
June 20, 2012 5:06:26 PM

RetiredChief said:
Have a feeling your from England, as link is in Pounds.

But That does not stop you from Using Newegg.com, Not to Buy but get a feeling on reliabilty of what drive you are planing on buying.
For EX the WD Green 23 % Negative (1/2 egg reviews)
Compare to WD 1 TB black (more popular, and 19% neg feedback
And for F3 - Only 14% neg fb
For what it's worth Just bought 2 of these puppies last week @ $80 ( 50 quid) On sale.

Thanks mate, really kind of you ;)  I will check it out.
a c 353 G Storage
June 20, 2012 5:14:05 PM

Added:
Just some of my thoughts:
1) you can not compare "longevity" of a yester years 2 1/2 in drive to a 3 1/2 in drive of the same vintage. Laptop drive for that period were made more rugged and generally RPMs were lower.
2) This applies to all brands:
.. (A) Newer drives seem to fail at a higher rate than say drives of 3 to 5 years ago.
Probably do to the Denser platters which make alignment more critical and the move from 5400 RPMs to 7200 RPMs.
.. (B) Unknown, but probably Higher than what most would think - How many of the drives were damaged by the user - AND BLAMED on the Manuf. But this % would probably apply equally as much to Seagate as WD.

My oun experience, The only drives that Have failed have been WD Blacks, But I think I killed two of them, NOT manuf fault. BUT I never Buy a "NEW" model untill it has been out some time. For example at one point My Drive of Choice was Seagate. BUT then came the -11 fiasco. NO more Seagate. Switched to the WD Blacks, then Switched to Samsung F3 as they seemed a little more reliable and had just as good, if not better, performance.
June 20, 2012 5:57:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
Added:
Just some of my thoughts:
1) you can not compare "longevity" of a yester years 2 1/2 in drive to a 3 1/2 in drive of the same vintage. Laptop drive for that period were made more rugged and generally RPMs were lower.
2) This applies to all brands:
.. (A) Newer drives seem to fail at a higher rate than say drives of 3 to 5 years ago.
Probably do to the Denser platters which make alignment more critical and the move from 5400 RPMs to 7200 RPMs.
.. (B) Unknown, but probably Higher than what most would think - How many of the drives were damaged by the user - AND BLAMED on the Manuf. But this % would probably apply equally as much to Seagate as WD.

My oun experience, The only drives that Have failed have been WD Blacks, But I think I killed two of them, NOT manuf fault. BUT I never Buy a "NEW" model untill it has been out some time. For example at one point My Drive of Choice was Seagate. BUT then came the -11 fiasco. NO more Seagate. Switched to the WD Blacks, then Switched to Samsung F3 as they seemed a little more reliable and had just as good, if not better, performance.

True i suppose the SSD are coming in because the hard disk one's are getting out-dated and can't handle the technology we need, and cant spin fast enough
a c 353 G Storage
June 20, 2012 6:41:28 PM

The only problem w/SSDs is cost vs capacity. They have come down considerably in the last 6 Months, but still considerably more than HDDs. My firs 128 gig M4 and samsung 830 were more than what I just spent on a 256 gig M4 lastweek. Out for delievery, so should have it in about 3 hours.
!